Fix a Regulator in Circuit: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter kyriakos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regulator
In summary: In broad terms there is a supply side, which may or may not vary, and a regulated side, which shouldn't vary, and that applies to mechanical, electrical and chemical regulation.Thank you for your response. But, unfortunately this info is not what I am looking for, as I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it.
kyriakos
Hello guys,

I have a question and I would really appreciate your help.

In a circuit, how do we fix a regulator, if air goes through? What do we have to adjust, or remove from the circuit?

Best regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
kyriakos said:
Hello guys,

I have a question and I would really appreciate your help.

In a circuit, how do we fix a regulator, if air goes through? What do we have to adjust, or remove from the circuit?

Best regards

A regulator of what kind? Voltage? Be specific

Likes davenn
kyriakos said:

Ronie Bayron said:
A regulator of what kind? Voltage? Be specific

As Ronie said ... give us the information so we can help you

also give is a circuit diagram and maybe even a sharp and clear photo of your project/piece of equipmentDave

Likes NascentOxygen
Hello, sorry for not mentioning what type of regulator it is. It is a voltage regulator.
I do not have any circuit I am afraid. The reason I am asking this questions, is because I have to solve a technical test question for a job, and it is based on a voltage regulator. I was told that I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it. Also, I was told to know what is on one side of a regulator, and what on another (I don't really understand that to be honest). I tried to get all information I could, but unfortunately I am a bit lost as this is the first time I am dealing with regulators.

Thank you very much guys, and I apologize for not saying all these info at the beginning.

kyriakos said:
Hello, sorry for not mentioning what type of regulator it is. It is a voltage regulator.
I do not have any circuit I am afraid. The reason I am asking this questions, is because I have to solve a technical test question for a job, and it is based on a voltage regulator. I was told that I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it. Also, I was told to know what is on one side of a regulator, and what on another (I don't really understand that to be honest). I tried to get all information I could, but unfortunately I am a bit lost as this is the first time I am dealing with regulators.

Thank you very much guys, and I apologize for not saying all these info at the beginning.
There are voltage regulators used in power distribution that weight tons, used in microelectronics that fit on the tip of your finger, and everything in between.

the_emi_guy said:
There are voltage regulators used in power distribution that weight tons, used in microelectronics that fit on the tip of your finger, and everything in between.
Thank you for your response. But, unfortunately this info is not what I am looking for, as I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it. Also, I was told that there is something on one side of a regulator in a circuit, and something on the other side of a regulator on a circuit, which I don't know to be honest what they usually are.

kyriakos said:
Thank you for your response. But, unfortunately this info is not what I am looking for, as I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it. Also, I was told that there is something on one side of a regulator in a circuit, and something on the other side of a regulator on a circuit, which I don't know to be honest what they usually are.
Here is a link, google usually helps a lot http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva558/snva558.pdf.

Excess supply voltage is excess energy so as outrageous demand current. Practically, one way to control voltage is to dissipate this excess energy as a form of heat. Then, if its too much other than the designed, the device will fail, certainly.

If in any case you haven't seen one
10pcs-bag-TDA2030-TDA2030A-linear-audio-amplifier-PA-short-circuit-and-thermal-protection-IC.jpg

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
  • If you stop beating around the bush and state the interview question word for word I'm sure we can help.
  • In broad terms there is a supply side, which may or may not vary, and a regulated side, which shouldn't vary, and that applies to mechanical, electrical and chemical regulation.

kyriakos said:
Thank you for your response. But, unfortunately this info is not what I am looking for, as I need to know what it does, how it works and how to fix it.

well since you didn't respond with the information asked for to help you
we still have no idea what sort of regulator or what circuit it is in

so I ask again
PLEASE answer the questions I put in post #3regards
Dave

Likes davenn and Tom.G
jim hardy said:
Dont ask us to guess.

What industry ?

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/spark2.htmlSet spring tension and air gaps, burnish the contacts.
I remember those things in older cars, are they still used anywhere ?Dave

davenn said:
I remember those things in older cars, are they still used anywhere ?Dave
You can still buy them new. Obviously for replacement.

Likes davenn
I doubt anybody produces a new vehicle with them.
But they are still available... just a couple years ago replaced one on a friend's 1951 Ford tractor when we upgraded from 6 to 12 volts.
Hooking battery up backward doesn't wreck these..

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
Hooking battery up backward doesn't wreck these..
And you can tell it's working during the night by watching your headlight's intensity; especially on 6 volt systems.

Likes jim hardy and davenn
cool :)

thanks guys ... been at least 40 yrs since I owned a car with one of those regulator packsD

dlgoff said:
And you can tell it's working during the night by watching your headlight's intensity; especially on 6 volt systems.
Don, you're one who extracts wisdom from little everyday things !
That's the secret to happiness i think.

Likes dlgoff
davenn said:
thanks guys ... been at least 40 yrs since I owned a car with one of those regulator packs

I plan retrofitting my 68 Ford with a generator and mechanical regulator. You can push start it without a battery then, generator comes up on residual magnetism and voila - ignition.

jim hardy said:
I plan retrofitting my 68 Ford with a generator and mechanical regulator. You can push start it without a battery then, generator comes up on residual magnetism and voila - ignition.
Wow. That is a step backwards to most people. But I see the advantages as you have described. Most people that keep the older stuff on the road usually want upgrades and would not see it your way. Cool.

kyriakos said:
In a circuit, how do we fix a regulator, if air goes through?

We've not heard from OP latelly.

From his initial post i assumed he was speaking of a pneumatic circuit
but i removed my first reply for fear of being thought a wise guy..

31B392D72AE6CEABF3A89D3A712C17F0_25_Chapter_23-1.jpg

Air goes through ? It should.

old im

Oh c'mon Jim. Everyone here knows you are a very wise kinda guy. :smile:

Likes dlgoff, davenn and jim hardy

1. How do I know if my regulator needs to be fixed?

There are a few signs that may indicate a faulty regulator in your circuit. These include inconsistent voltage output, overheating, and burning smells. If you notice any of these issues, it is likely that your regulator needs to be fixed.

2. What tools do I need to fix a regulator in a circuit?

You will need a soldering iron, solder, wire cutters, and a multimeter to fix a regulator in a circuit. You may also need a desoldering pump or wick to remove the old regulator.

3. How do I choose the right replacement regulator?

First, you will need to identify the type of regulator you need (linear or switching) and its specifications (voltage and current ratings). You can refer to the datasheet of your old regulator or consult with a professional for assistance in choosing the right replacement.

4. What is the step-by-step process for replacing a regulator in a circuit?

The general steps for replacing a regulator in a circuit are as follows: 1) Turn off power to the circuit and discharge any capacitors. 2) Remove the old regulator using a desoldering pump or wick. 3) Clean the area and prepare the new regulator by bending its leads to fit the circuit. 4) Solder the new regulator in place. 5) Test the circuit with a multimeter to ensure proper voltage output. 6) Secure the regulator in place if necessary.

5. Can I fix a regulator in a circuit without any prior experience?

While it is recommended to have some basic knowledge of electronics and soldering, fixing a regulator in a circuit is a fairly straightforward process that can be learned through online tutorials or with the help of a professional. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is best to seek assistance from someone with experience.