Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to formulate conjectures using matlab or any other program

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I hope that I am posting my post in the right section!
    I have been given many numerical series that i am supposed to investigate. A part of the investigation is the formulate conjectures for each of them. This is very time consuming part of my assignment :yuck: . Therefore I would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to formulate conjectures on Matlab.

I have little experience using Matlab, so could you please give me step by step instructions!!

Are there any other program that can formulate conjectures?

Thanks,
    rover
    :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2

Diane_

Homework Helper

If by "formulate conjectures" you mean setting up a program to show you the terms or the sum for a certain finite sequence, then you can do it in matlab or any other programming language. In fact, you can do it on a spreadsheet. It's been ten years since I used matlab (cool language, by the way), so I'm afraid I'm out of practice there.

Thinking about it, if you're not too familiar with programming, I'm not sure I can give you enough information here to do it. I say that in preface to:

In C++, you could put a relation to calculate the terms of your sequence into a function, say seq(n) where n is the term you want. (If you have a recursion relation, you may need to use two arguments, where one is the previous term in the sequence.) Then, all you need is a loop, say:

for (short iCounter = 1; iCounter <= 10; ++iCounter)
    cout << "Term " << iCounter << " = " << seq(iCounter) << endl;

If that makes absolutely no sense at all, then I'm afraid there's not much I can do to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?