1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get a particular solution.

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    I have a "Solve the initial value problem" It is:

y'' + y = 2cosx - 3sinx

I know how to do everything except for get yp. I know it has to be something so when i substitute yp into the left hand side of the equation, i get the right hand side, 2cosx - 3sinx.

By this definition i would think yp = Acosx - Bsinx, where A = 2 and B = 3. But that doesn't seem right.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,use Lagrange's method of variation of constants...Solve the homogenous ODE and then make the 2 constants (associated with the 2 independent solution spanning the solutions space) become functions of "x"...

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the equation:

[tex]y^{''}+y=2Cos[x]-3Sin[x][/tex]

Whenever the right-hand side is a particular solution of a linear homogeneous equation, then you can apply that differential operator to both sides of the above equation to collapse it into a homogeneous one:

Since RHS is a particular solution to homogeneous equation (in operator notation):

[tex](D^2+1)y=0[/tex]

Applying this opearator to both sides of the original equation leads to:

[tex](D^2+1)(D^2+1)R=0[/tex]

Solution of this one is:

[tex]y(x)=c_1Sin[x]+c_2Cos[x]+AxSin[x]+BxCos[x][/tex]

but:

Well, read the book to fill in the details, but then just substitute:

[tex]y_p(x)=AxSin[x]+BxCos[x][/tex]

into the original equation, equate coefficients. You're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?