How to get amplitude and phase

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for estimating the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal that changes over time. The use of the Hilbert transform and other methods such as short time Fourier transform, Wavelet transform, and least squares method are mentioned. The conversation also considers whether the signal is being compared to a reference signal and whether a software or hardware solution is being sought.
umarkhan
hello,
if I have a sinusoidal signal that has changing amplitude and phase with respect to time, how can I find the amplitude and phase with respect to time?

So given x(t) the probem is to find a(t) and p(t)?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are various ways of estimating instantaneous amplitude and phase. Hilbert transform might be a good choice for that.

There are many methods available. Short time Fourier transform, Wavelet transform, least squares method, auto regressive methods etc.

Are you comparing this signal to a reference signal with constant amplitude and phase/frequency? Are you looking for a software solution, or a hardware circuit?

1. How do I measure amplitude and phase in a signal?

The amplitude of a signal is measured by finding the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the signal. The phase can be measured by finding the time delay between the peak of the signal and a reference point in the signal, such as a zero-crossing point. This can be done using specialized equipment or signal processing software.

2. What is the difference between amplitude and phase?

Amplitude refers to the strength or intensity of a signal, while phase refers to the position or timing of the signal within a period. In other words, amplitude determines the height of the signal, while phase determines the position of the signal on the x-axis.

3. How do I calculate amplitude and phase from a frequency domain representation of a signal?

To calculate amplitude and phase from a frequency domain representation, you will need to use the Fourier transform. The amplitude can be found by taking the absolute value of the complex number representing the frequency component, while the phase can be found by taking the argument or angle of the complex number. This process can also be done using signal processing software.

4. Can amplitude and phase change over time in a signal?

Yes, amplitude and phase can change over time in a signal. This is known as amplitude modulation and phase modulation, respectively. These changes can occur due to various factors such as interference, noise, or modulation techniques used in signal transmission.

5. How can I use amplitude and phase information in my research or experiments?

Amplitude and phase information can be used to analyze and understand the behavior of signals in various systems. In research and experiments, this information can help in identifying the characteristics of a signal, detecting anomalies or abnormalities, and designing and optimizing systems for specific purposes.