Feeling bored? Need suggestions for surviving a quiet PF?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: Visiting PF when it's too quiet! Thanks to people who're not on now, so the forums are too quiet and I facepalm
Lisa!
Gold Member
Any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just keep this page on your screen and stare at it.

wolram said:
Just keep this page on your screen and stare at it.

Or better yet, about:blank.

motai said:
Or better yet, about:blank.

Better yet have Lisa talk to you all day. :rofl:

I want to fall into sleep after that!

This thread is doing the job pretty well, actually...

Has anyone ever been bored to the point of death? Would that be considered suicide?

Take this test: http://www.dogbomb.co.uk/idiot-test/

Actually, it may keep some of you entertained for hours. :rolleyes:

Lisa! said:
I want to fall into sleep after that!

You are all way sleepy or sleeping, why not take up iguana spotting ?

wolram said:

Or how about taking a detailed inventory of all of the plates and bottles in one's country? :zzz:

wolram said:
It's not very nice to paint spots on iguanas. :grumpy:

take a piece of metal, dip it in water, and watch rust develop. Make sure you're compfortable first though.

honestrosewater said:
It's not very nice to paint spots on iguanas. :grumpy:

How about water buffalo?

Something that I think is fun but others might find boring: Fill a clear glass with water, drop in a drop of food coloring, and watch what happens. Repeat.
Or: Fill a bowl with water, grab a straw, drop little drops of oil onto the water's surface, and have fun (push the drops together, try to separate them, capture oil in straw and expel it under surface, etc.).
Other things to mix with water: honey (dissolve in water before adding food coloring and note the differences from plain water), liquid soap, you get the idea... :approve:

Oh, one that was even boring for me: Mix up water and oil very well and see how long it takes to separate itself. I left the glass in the window sill for this one. A strange thing happens sometimes - drops of oil will stick to the side of the glass and not move forever*! :eek: I don't know how this happens, but it also happened to someone I met at a party who had some kind of liquid-like material in a glass container. I don't recall what the stuff was, but that stuff was cool. He was studying Brownian motion if anyone wants to look it up.

*figure is only an approximation.

Last edited:
wolram said:
How about water buffalo?
I didn't know one had to water buffalo - they seem to grow just fine without it. :confused:

honestrosewater said:
I didn't know one had to water buffalo - they seem to grow just fine without it. :confused:

Spotting water buffalo is a fine pastime, is there any about here ?

wolram said:
Spotting water buffalo is a fine pastime, is there any about here ?
I think I see http://www.sjcolby.com/04_100_0237_WaterBuffalo.gif ! It sounds like it's saying woooolllleeee

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr wolram said:
That's because I don't get enough sleep, Sir! :cry:

why do you always call him Mr Wolram, and 'sir'?

yomamma said:
why do you always call him Mr Wolram, and 'sir'?
Because I've promised to be polite when I'm talking to him. :wink:

o. this post was too short

Visiting PF when it's too quiet! Thanks to people who're not on now, so the forums are too quiet and I fa :zzz:

1. What are some activities I can do to pass time when feeling bored?

There are many activities you can do to pass time when feeling bored. Some ideas include reading a book, watching a movie or TV show, listening to music, exercising, cooking or baking, playing a board game or card game, or picking up a new hobby.

2. How can I stay motivated and productive when feeling bored?

One way to stay motivated and productive when feeling bored is to set small goals for yourself. This could be completing a certain number of tasks or spending a certain amount of time on a project. It can also help to create a schedule or to-do list to keep yourself on track.

3. What are some ways to make quiet time more enjoyable?

Some ways to make quiet time more enjoyable include practicing self-care activities such as meditation or yoga, journaling, trying out a new creative project, or simply taking a nap or relaxing with a cup of tea.

4. How can I make the most out of a quiet period of time?

One way to make the most out of a quiet period of time is to use it as an opportunity to reflect and recharge. This could involve setting aside time for self-reflection, practicing mindfulness, or engaging in activities that bring you peace and relaxation.

5. What should I do if I am feeling bored and lonely?

If you are feeling bored and lonely, it can be helpful to reach out to friends or family members for a virtual hangout or phone call. You can also try joining online communities or groups related to your interests, or volunteering your time to help others in need. It's important to stay connected and socialize, even when feeling bored or lonely.