Can I Create a Calibration Curve Using Only Peak Area Data?

In summary, you can use peak height to calculate concentration of an unknown sample if you know the area under the curve and the gradient.
CannonSLX
I've just done an ion chromatography experiment and have normalized my data for a known sample which has a known concentration of 10ppm.

I know that the first large peak is due to F- ions and so the area of the peak is propositional to the concentration of the ion.

Given that I know the area, how can I get the calibration curve just by this information ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume signal would be zero if there were no F- at all, that gives you two pints, enough to draw a straight line.

That's not the best approach in general, but better than nothing.

Borek said:
Assume signal would be zero if there were no F- at all, that gives you two pints, enough to draw a straight line.

That's not the best approach in general, but better than nothing.
Thanks, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

This is my current data graph; https://i.gyazo.com/72d8f842cc504e924d1d0f106fb0266a.png
The first large peak corresponds to F- ions.
If I assumed the signal as 0 how would I plot a calibration curve ? Would it be possible for me to choose 2 points on the curve which produce a linear relationship ?Thank you in advance for your help :)

You know the area of a peak that correspond to a 10 ppm concentration, yes?

Assume 0 ppm would produce no peak - or a peak of area 0.

That gives you two points for calibration curve - one for 0 ppm concentration and one for 10 ppm concentration.

Likes CannonSLX
Borek said:

That gives you two points for calibration curve - one for 0 ppm concentration and one for 10 ppm concentration.
I see, thanks.

To calculate the area, can I normalise my data so that the area under the curve is directly po
Borek said:

Thanks. I've managed to do it and used excel to calculate the gradient, in the form y=mx+c
One last question.

If I run a sample with an unknown concentration of F-, if I know the area under the curve (y) and the gradient (m), knowing that c=0, would I just solve for (x) which would be my concentration of F- in the unknown sample ?

CannonSLX said:
To calculate the area, can I normalise my data so that the area under the curve is directly po

You lost something here. You can use peak height instead of the area, typically these are related (and in the case of a nice curve - like the one you have - it is quite good approach).

CannonSLX said:
If I run a sample with an unknown concentration of F-, if I know the area under the curve (y) and the gradient (m), knowing that c=0, would I just solve for (x) which would be my concentration of F- in the unknown sample ?

Yes.

Borek said:
You lost something here. You can use peak height instead of the area, typically these are related (and in the case of a nice curve - like the one you have - it is quite good approach).
Yes.
We've been told to use area, so would normalising be the right idea for this approach ?

If you are told to use area - use area.

Borek said:
If you are told to use area - use area.
Thanks for your help :)

1. What is a calibration curve?

A calibration curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the measured values of a specific instrument and the actual values. It is used to determine the accuracy and precision of the instrument, and to correct for any systematic errors.

2. Why is a calibration curve important?

Calibration curves are important because they allow us to accurately measure and quantify unknown substances or samples. They also help to ensure the reliability and validity of experimental results.

3. How do you create a calibration curve?

To create a calibration curve, you need a series of known standards with known concentrations. These standards are used to plot a curve, usually a straight line, that represents the relationship between concentration and measurement. The curve can then be used to determine the concentration of unknown samples.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a calibration curve?

The accuracy of a calibration curve can be affected by several factors, including the purity and stability of the standards, the precision of the measuring instrument, and human error during the calibration process. It is important to carefully follow the calibration procedure and use high-quality standards to minimize these errors.

5. How often should a calibration curve be performed?

The frequency of calibration curve performance depends on the instrument and its intended use. Generally, it is recommended to perform a calibration curve at least once a year, or whenever there are significant changes in the instrument's performance, such as after repairs or maintenance.