Improving Mental Speed for Math Problems

• Thread starter lagwagon555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the speakers discuss their struggles with thinking quickly in math and finding ways to improve their mental math skills. They suggest practicing regularly without using a calculator and prioritizing easier questions during exams. They also recommend finding resources, such as books on speed math, to help improve mental math abilities.
lagwagon555
Hey all, I'm a pretty good physics and maths student, I'm starting my physics BSc in February 2009. But one thing I've found is that I'm slow at thinking. I nearly always run out of time for exams, which is frustrating. Also, it takes me a few seconds to do questions like '153 minus 8'. So, anyone have any idea how to get more snappy? This is hardly a complex maths problem haha, so might not justify being asked here, but can't think of anywhere else to ask. Anyone got any tips for how I can get more snappy at little sums?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Im at 10th grade and i have the same problem than you. I'm getting worse at simple mental maths probably because we're allowed to use calculator. What i found that helped me improve is doing all the mental calculations myself and not in the calculator.
As some say maths are exercises to the brain. Who knows.

Like Sahka said, practice practice practice, and never use a calculator unless you have to.

Practice, as in just do practice questions? Like this:

http://www.thatquiz.org/tq/practice.html?arithmetic

I suppose I could do that for a bit every day. And I'll try not to use calculator, that might be part of the reason, I honestly use my calculator for anything which digits go above 20 haha.

Also, when doing exams, try to read through your exam at the start and pick out the questions you know you can do quickly and easily, and do them first. This will help you to get on a roll for the tougher ones.

I have a similar problem to this, only to a lesser degree. My advice (for you, myself, and anyone else for whom this is a problem) is to find a book on speed maths or something similar. You're local library might be a good place to start. If you're local library hasn't got anything (or more likely hasn't got anything deep enough) you should check out a university library (do you have any friends/relatives who are current students/staff at a university? If so then you should ask them if you can borrow a couple of books on their account. If not, then you may have to wait until next year when you start uni/college/whatever you want to call it.)

Soon enough, there won't be any numbers in math

1. How can I improve my critical thinking skills?

There are several ways to improve your critical thinking skills, such as practicing active listening, asking questions, and seeking out diverse perspectives. You can also try solving puzzles or brain teasers, reading and writing critically, and reflecting on your own thought processes.

2. Is there a specific technique or method for thinking faster?

While there is no one-size-fits-all technique for thinking faster, some strategies that may help include organizing your thoughts before acting, prioritizing tasks and information, and practicing mindfulness to stay focused and reduce distraction. You can also try practicing speed-reading and developing your memory skills.

3. Can I train my brain to think faster?

Yes, you can train your brain to think faster by regularly challenging yourself with new and complex tasks, learning new skills, and exposing yourself to new ideas and perspectives. Additionally, engaging in physical exercise and maintaining a healthy diet can also improve cognitive function and help you think faster.

4. What role does practice play in improving thinking speed?

Practice is crucial in improving thinking speed. Just like any skill, the more you practice thinking quickly, the better you will become at it. By regularly challenging your mind and pushing yourself to think faster, you can strengthen your cognitive abilities and increase your overall thinking speed.

5. Are there any negative effects of trying to think faster?

While there are many benefits to improving your thinking speed, there can also be negative effects if taken to an extreme. For example, constantly trying to think faster and multitask can lead to burnout and decrease the quality of your thinking. It is important to find a balance and not push yourself too hard, as this can ultimately hinder your thought processes.