Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get haploid yeast growth

1. Dec 20, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeast (or only some strains?) can grow as an haploid or a diploid organism.

1. Why can it do both?
    2. How do we induce it to grow in a haploid state?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because the haploid is the resistant version and least energy demanding and can form spore. Haploids can fuse and create a diploid. thus it increase the genetic diversity.

From the life cycle, you grow then in a nutrient poor enviromnent.

4. Dec 20, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: how to get haploid yeast growth

Really, I would have expected it the other way around.. haploids only carry one copy of a gene and thus have a high chance of being deficient in biochemical pathways, right?

Do you know which nutrient is especially important, or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks, I am just being curious

btw, I heard from a researcher that from the 6000 ORFs in Saccheromyces cerevisea, 2000 are orthologous to humans.. not sure if I trust that person, but it is an indication..

5. Dec 20, 2003 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: how to get haploid yeast growth

Yeah but 1 diploid gives 4 haploids thus increasing the chance of survival. Haploid require less energy to finish their life cycle and they can form spore. The haploid and sporulation mechanism must be regulated by same elements.

It migth be the basic requirement. In lab, you could use define minimal medium.

That sounds about rigth. What I heard is that yeast have 37% orthologous to mammals and 2000 in 6000 is 33%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?