1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get into cosmolgy

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hi guys,
    I am a mechanical engineer. and i am working as a naval officer.. but i want to get into the profession of cosmology can any one suggest me how to get into that profession as i hv done mechanical engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    Theoretical Cosmology is an area where many sub-divisions of physics play important role, such as relativity, QFT, statistical, etc. (Not very much familiar with experimental aspect but I assume it's very much close to astrophysics.)
    I would suggest you to have a look at Scott Dodelson's Modern Cosmology, since that pretty much gives you a taste of what research in cosmology feels like. Cosmology by S. Weinberg is also a good read, though it is more concentrated on the theoretical side.

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    thanx cloudy but cud i chang my profession.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4
    I think a lot of factors have to be taken into considerations before such kind of big decisions, like age, family, financial considerations and many more.
    I'm just a PhD candidate trying to finish his phd years so I can't give any advices on career path. From what I learned on this forum and facts from former graduates in my department, it's tough (really really tough) to find a permanent job in this field (theoretical cosmology).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook