1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get mag. & angles of resultant couple moment

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    I have another thread for another problem, but no one seems to be responding about this second problem, so i'll post it here.

Need to find the magnitude and direction/space angles of the resultant couple moment of two valve handles being turned, as pictured:

Would the resultant mean at the origin of the axes? So far, I've done this, using the left as A and the right as B:

Should the forces have unit vectors k on them? If what I did is somewhat right, then how do I get the resultant magnitude and direction if the only other piece of data given is that the wheel on the right is angled 60deg. from the y-axis--no other distances, etc?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your magnitudes are correct, but these moments are vectors. What direction do they point? ([itex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex]) Add those vectors.

(And please don't post the same question in mutliple threads! It's generally best to post one problem per thread.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?