How to get solution from the final simplex iteration

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
Your Name]In summary, the user is seeking help with using the simplex method to solve a programming problem. They have completed all iterations and have a final table with a positive objective function row. To find the final answer, they need to look at the values in the rightmost column, which represent the values of their decision variables. In the given example, the values of x1, x2, and x3 are 11, 12, and 9 respectively.
sara_87

Homework Statement

I have a programing problem and have to solve it using the simplex method. after i do all iterations such that the objective function row is all positive, how do i get the final answer.
For an example, if i have the final table as:
1, 2, 3, 4,
5, 8, 1, 7,
6, 11, 12, 9,

where the last row is the objective function row,
the first column is the right hand side of each equation, second column x1, third column x2 , fourth column x3,
first row x4 and second row x5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

do i have to say that: x1=11; x2=12; x3=9

I think that's wrong.
Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It seems like you are on the right track with using the simplex method to solve your programming problem. Once you have completed all iterations and have a final table where the objective function row is all positive, you can find the final answer by looking at the values in the rightmost column (the "right hand side" column). These values represent the values of your decision variables (x1, x2, x3) that will optimize your objective function. In your example, the values of x1, x2, and x3 would be 11, 12, and 9 respectively. These values will give you the maximum value for your objective function.

I hope this helps and good luck with your programming problem! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. How do I know when I have reached the final simplex iteration?

The final simplex iteration is reached when there are no more negative values in the bottom row of the tableau. This indicates that the solution has been optimized and no further improvements can be made.

2. What is the significance of the final simplex iteration?

The final simplex iteration is significant because it represents the optimal solution to the linear programming problem. This is the point at which all constraints have been met and the objective function has been maximized or minimized.

3. Can the final simplex iteration be used to find multiple solutions?

No, the final simplex iteration only yields a single optimal solution. If there are multiple solutions to the linear programming problem, they can be found by repeating the simplex algorithm starting from different initial basic feasible solutions.

4. How can I interpret the final simplex iteration tableau?

The final simplex iteration tableau provides information about the optimal solution, including the values of the decision variables and the objective function. It also shows the slack variables and the shadow prices, which can be used for sensitivity analysis.

5. Is the final simplex iteration always the most efficient solution?

In most cases, the final simplex iteration will yield the most efficient solution. However, there are certain scenarios where the optimal solution may be found in a previous iteration. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and the simplex iterations to ensure that the optimal solution has been reached.