Start Learning Relativity: Books for Beginners

• Thread starter Infamo
  • Start date
In summary, for a high school senior with a basic understanding of calculus and physics, Taylor & Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" would be a good book to start learning about relativity. Another resource to consider is the link provided, which offers other recommendations. "Relativity and Common Sense" by Bondi is a good option for those without a strong mathematical background, as it only requires high school algebra. Another recommendation is "It's All Relative" by Necia H Apfel for beginners with no mathematical background.
Infamo
Okay, I'm new to relativity(I'm only a HS senior), and our school doesn't cover topics such as relativity or quantum mechanics, they don't even touch them. So, I'm forced to learn about relativity on my own, but, wanted to know what a good book would be to started my learning process. Keep in mind that I do not have any prior knowledge to this subject ,but I do have basic Calculus and Physics concepts. Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
With a good calculus and physics background, I'd suggest Taylor & Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics".

You might also trythis link for other recommendations

As I mentioned in another thread, the first relativity book I ever read was "Relativity and Common Sense" by Bondi. This book is written so as to require nothing more than high school algebra - but as a consequence it moves slowly, and doesn't cover any advanced material. But it should be available very cheaply, and I would personally rate it as being worth the time (which, like the price, should be low as someone reasonably good with algebra should be able to finish the book very quickly).

Last edited:
With no mathematical backround, a good beginners book, try "It's all relative" by Necia H Apfel

1. What is the most beginner-friendly book for learning relativity?

The most recommended book for beginners is "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray d'Inverno. It provides a clear and concise introduction to the theory of relativity without requiring advanced mathematical knowledge.

2. Do I need a background in physics to understand relativity?

While a basic understanding of physics will certainly help, it is not necessary to have a background in the subject to learn about relativity. Many books on the topic are written for the general audience and do not assume any prior knowledge of physics.

3. Can I learn relativity on my own or do I need a teacher?

It is certainly possible to learn relativity on your own, especially with the abundance of beginner-friendly books and online resources available. However, having a teacher or mentor can be beneficial as they can provide guidance and answer any questions you may have.

4. How long does it take to learn relativity?

This can vary greatly depending on your level of dedication and prior knowledge. For a complete beginner, it may take several months to fully grasp the concepts of relativity. However, with consistent effort and practice, it is possible to gain a basic understanding in a matter of weeks.

5. What are some other recommended books for learning relativity?

Aside from "Introducing Einstein's Relativity", other popular books for beginners include "Einstein's Cosmos" by Michio Kaku and "A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes Towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity" by Peter Collier. It is also recommended to supplement your learning with online resources and video lectures.