Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get the derivative

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    recently, I study a research paper, and a problem confuse me, so i need help:

q(t,x)=z(t,x)+\int_t^T{k(\tau, t) z(\tau, x) d\tau } (1)

and q_t=z_t+\int_t^T{k_t(\tau, t) z(\tau, x) d\tau }- k(t,t)z(t) (2)

problem: how to according to (1) can get (2) ? please give me detailed process, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are asking, from
    [tex]q(t,x)= z(t,x)+ \int_t^T\left(k(\tau,t)z(\tau,x)\right)d\tau[/tex]
    how do you get
    [tex]\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial z}{\partial t}+ \int_t^T\left(k_t(\tau,t)z(\tau,x)\right)d\tau - k(t,t)z(t)[/tex]

I hope the [itex]\partial z/\partial x[/itex] part at the front is obvious. The rest of it is from "Leibniz' rule"
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} F(t,x) dt\right)= \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}F(\beta(x),x)- \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}F(\alpha(x),x)+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial F(x,t)}{\partial x} dt[/tex]
    The first two terms of the right hand side are derivable from the "fundamental theorem of calculus" together with the chain rule. The third term is just taking the derivative inside the integral.

In your case, the "[itex]\beta(x)[/itex]" is a constant, T, so its derivative is 0. The "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" is t so its derivative is 1. That's where "-k(t,t)z(t)" comes from.

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    thank HallsofIvy very much , this is an important formula, I could not thought of it, oh, my god !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?