Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get the prefactor for the Planck Distribution

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    So I have a question on the Planckian (from one of my PhD qualifier practice problems). I'm trying to derive the Planck distribution from the Bose-Einstein distribution, which is,

[tex]f(\epsilon) = \dfrac{1}{e^{\frac{\epsilon - \mu}{k_B T}} - 1}[/tex]

Now I know that I can set the chemical potential equal to zero, and let [tex]\epsilon = \hbar \omega = h \nu [/tex] to get,

[tex]f(\epsilon) = \dfrac{1}{e^{\frac{h \nu}{k_B T}} - 1}[/tex]

However, this is only the distribution function. There's some sort of prefactor that I need in order to turn it into an energy density. My question is: how do I derive this prefactor? I know it must have something to do with deriving the density of states for a bose gas, since the total occupation is,

[tex] \int_0 ^\infty g(\epsilon) f(\epsilon) d\epsilon[/tex]

I'm also fairly certain that I need to somehow express energy in terms of the wave vector and convert to spherical coordinates. But how exactly does this work? I'm still not sure how the idea of a density of states applies to a Bose gas, since the Pauli principle doesn't apply. I know I could just look up the Planckian, but I'd like to understand this so I could reproduce it on a qualifying exam (should the need arise). Help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted