Solve v(t) from Power and Current Plots

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the voltage plot given a power plot and a current plot. It is stated that the power waveform is a parabola and the current waveform is linear. The question is raised if the power equation needs to be divided by the current equation to plot the result, and if there is an easier way to do it just by looking at the graphs. There is also a discussion about the possibility of one of the functions being a trigonometric function and the use of software to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using long division or finding the ratio between the two functions to plot the voltage graph. The importance of the graphs crossing the origin is also mentioned.
EvLer
Hi everyone,
I am not sure how to solve this:
given a plot of power p(t) and current i(t), I am supposed to come up with a plot of voltage v(t). I know that p(t) = i(t)*v(t). The problem is that p(t) waveform is a parabola, while i(t) is linear. Does that mean I have to divide (long division) p(t) equation by i(t) equation and plot the result? Is there an easier way to do it just from looking at the graphs?
What if one of them is a trig. function? Is software the only way?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
Hi everyone,
given a plot of power p(t) and current i(t), I am supposed to come up with a plot of voltage v(t). I know that p(t) = i(t)*v(t). The problem is that p(t) waveform is a parabola, while i(t) is linear. Does that mean I have to divide (long division) p(t) equation by i(t) equation and plot the result? Is there an easier way to do it just from looking at the graphs?

Thanks in advance.

are you given the two functions for p(t) and i(t)?? If so i suggest long division as the most direct route! There is NO way that V(t) is a sine function because if it was:
Since I(t) is linear I(t) = At so it is a straight line
Let s say V(t) = Sin (Ct+D) then P(t) = At Sin(Ct+D)

now i am sure in previous classes you have seen that if your function looks like that then P(t) would also wave because A(t) would serve as the amplitude for the waving function and thus P(t) would wave up and down as WELL (Which it doesnt).

How complex are the functions for P(t) and I(t)? if they are polynomials i am sure you don't need to seek alternative routes.

EvLer said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I am assuming that p(t) is a parabola starting at the origin, right? Then itt is of the form [itex] a t^2[/itex]. And if i(t) also starts at the origin, then it is of the form [itex]b t [/itex]. So the ratio is of the form [itex] c t [/itex]. You just need to pick a point at a given time on both the p(t) and i(t) graphs to fix your constant "c".

So, are your graphs crossing the origin? That's the key point. I fthey do it's trivial. If they don't they must cross the point P=0 and I=0 at the same time and the ratio is still a linear graph that can be plotted using two points only. So still trivial. And if they do not equal zero at the same time, I am not sure they physically make sense (but I might be missing something).

Pat

What is the relationship between power, current, and time in an electrical circuit?

The power, current, and time in an electrical circuit are related through the equation P = IV, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and V is voltage in volts. This equation shows that as current and time increase, so does power.

How can a power and current plot be used to solve for the voltage as a function of time?

A power and current plot can be used to solve for the voltage as a function of time by using the equation P = IV. By plotting the power and current values on a graph, the slope of the line will represent the voltage over time.

Can a power and current plot be used to determine the resistance of a circuit?

Yes, a power and current plot can be used to determine the resistance of a circuit. The resistance can be calculated by using the equation R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. By rearranging the equation to solve for R, the resistance can be determined from the slope of the power and current plot.

What are some common applications of using power and current plots in scientific research?

Power and current plots are commonly used in scientific research to analyze and understand the behavior and characteristics of electrical circuits. They can be used to determine the efficiency of a circuit, calculate the power consumption of devices, and identify any abnormalities or malfunctions in the circuit.

Are there any limitations to using power and current plots to solve for voltage as a function of time?

One limitation of using power and current plots to solve for voltage as a function of time is that it assumes a linear relationship between power and voltage. In reality, this relationship may not always be linear and may be affected by factors such as temperature and frequency. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by measurement errors and fluctuations in the circuit.