How to Give Bad News: Shock & Depression After Tragic News

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: Read MoreIn summary, I was shocked and depressed for some days after I heard about the death of my friend's bf. Someone told me about it in a terrible way and it was difficult for me to process the news. It was a reminder that giving bad news, especially about death, is not an easy task. In this situation, it would have been better to be tactful and supportive and not give details at first. It is important to be sensitive and understanding when delivering bad news, and to provide comfort and support to the person receiving it.
Lisa!
Gold Member
I was shocked and depressed for some days after I heard about the death of my friend's bf! :uhh: Because someone just told me about in a terrible way.She told me "Remember we talked a lot about *'s bf and how he looked like?He died last week!" :bugeye: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
I was shocked and depressed for some days after I heard about the death of my friend's bf! :uhh: Because someone just told me about in a terrible way.She told me "Remember we talked a lot about *'s bf and how he looked like?He died last week!" :bugeye: :cry:

Im not sure there is a good way to give bad news especially about a death.
try to be tactful, supportive, don't give details at first they can be given
latter if the person wants them, that's all i can think of.

Lisa! said:

It would be much better not to say a word and show police photos, especially if there was a (very) violent death. :yuck: I mean, in that case, pictures do the talking much better. :smile:

Daniel.

Or even better:

"I've got some really bad news. Do you like me (:wink:) to tell you directly, or to give you some good sounding bul$**t for a couple of minutes (at this point, you seem to reach into your pocket looking for a piece of paper :devil:) before letting you know that X died ?" o:) :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It would be much better not to say a word and show police photos, especially if there was a (very) violent death. :yuck: I mean, in that case, pictures do the talking much better. :smile:

Daniel.
You're sick and insensitive. Surely you could think of a [post=672092]more sensitivie way to give the news[/post] than that.

Im sorry to hear that your friends boyfriend passed away. perhaps it felt wrong to hear it that way becuase it was almost like gossip, like the person who told you felt they had some juicy bit of new he or she just had to tell you. I believe this person should have warned you that the news was bad, and perhaps not seemed so thrilled to tell you.

sorry to hear that lisa!.

BobG said:
You're sick and insensitive. Surely you could think of a [post=672092]more sensitivie way to give the news[/post] than that.
:rofl: did I post that?

Thanks all of you.

wolram said:
Im not sure there is a good way to give bad news especially about a death.
try to be tactful, supportive, don't give details at first they can be given
latter if the person wants them, that's all i can think of.
I agree with you.

dextercioby said:
It would better not to say a word and show police photos
:bugeye: :bugeye: Do you want to kill the person who receives news from you?And are you talking about crime? :wink:

BobG said:
Surely you could...
Who said thereis no evil Bob? :wink:

fileen said:
I believe..
You know what drives me crazy about her, is that she told me that news like when nothing important has happened! :cry:
yomamma said:
:rofl: did I post that?
:devil: :rofl:

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lisa!. Since I don't know the extent of your acquaintance with the guy, I can only speculate that your friend didn't think you would be all that concerned about it. Either that, or she was so uncomfortable talking about it that blurting it out was the only way she could think of to tell you.
Dex, quit being a jerk. Death doesn't particularly affect me, but some people are very upset about it even when it's just a casual acquaintance.
In a case like this, I would first ask if you've been in contact with (name here) lately, in order to find out if you already know about it. If not, then bring up the subject of the bf and tactfully explain what had happened. At that point it should become a mutual concern to seek out and comfort the girl who lost her bf.

Lisa! said:
Sorry to hear about your loss, Lisa! When you see your friend, just say "I heard about ----- and I am so sorry." And let your friend talk or not. Many people have trouble dealing with and talking about death.

Danger said:
Sorry to hear about your loss, Lisa!. Since I don't know the extent of your acquaintance with the guy, I can only speculate that your friend didn't think you would be all that concerned about it. Either that, or she was so uncomfortable talking about it that blurting it out was the only way she could think of to tell you.
Not important how much I did know that guy.She knew how much I like my friend and for sure I can't stand her sadness.My friend and his bf got engaged togethere and decided to get married very soon.Right now she's so upset and feels like a widow.They were too much in love and for sure she can't forget him forever even if she'll find a better bf!Because she lost her love in a silly accident!Whenever I meet her or hear about her, I feel terrible! :cry:

Lisa! said:
. . . . they were too much in love . . .
There is no such thing as being "too much in love" with the right person. The risk of loving someone is that someday they will die, and one will 'lose' that person and that connection.

Astronuc said:
There is no such thing as being "too much in love" with the right person. The risk of loving someone is that someday they will die, and one will 'lose' that person and that connection.
Hi, Astro;
Believe it or not, the part of my post that I deleted before posting was: "Astronuc seems to be the go-to guy in situations like this. His experience and humanistic nature are what are required here." The only reasons that I omitted it were because I can't speak for you, and I figured that you'd show up on your own initiative.
You're just too solidly reliable... :smile:

Ok I received another bad news! My elementary school teacher has died. :cry: :cry: :cry: Well I wasn't shocked the way that my mother gave me the news. She always kills me whenevr she wants to give bad news. She says nothing's happened. but base on what I know about her, it makes me sure that it has. I try to guess it and I usually start by the worst.
For example she was talking about a teacher's death and when I asked her "Who was s/he?", she told me that I didn't know her. But I could see in her eye that she was lying. So I started by my favorite teachers :cry: and fianally she told me who she was! :cry: :cry: I don't think it's a good way to give a bad news, but it works for me most of time!

I think that Astro and Danger have covered it pretty well. The only thing I would add is that sometimes when people have been going through such a hard time with something for a few days they get upset when people keep bringing it up. Sometimes it may be best to not say anything unless they bring it up yet be sure not to pretend like nothing happened because they may feel like you're being callous.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Sometimes it may be best to not say anything unless they bring it up yet be sure not to pretend like nothing happened because they may feel like you're being callous.
Good point.

1. How can I prepare myself to give bad news?

Preparing yourself to give bad news is essential in order to provide support and comfort to the recipient. It's important to take some time to gather your thoughts, emotions, and facts about the news you are about to deliver. Practice what you want to say and how you want to say it. It may also be helpful to seek support from a trusted friend or colleague.

2. How should I deliver the bad news?

When delivering bad news, it's important to be honest and direct. Avoid using euphemisms or sugarcoating the news. Be empathetic and use a calm and gentle tone. It's also important to give the recipient time to process the news and ask any questions they may have.

3. How can I support someone who has received bad news?

It's important to be there for someone who has received bad news. Listen to them without judgment and offer emotional support. Let them know that you are there for them and that they are not alone. Offer practical help, such as making meals or running errands, if needed.

4. How can I cope with my own emotions after delivering bad news?

Delivering bad news can be emotionally draining and it's important to take care of yourself. Allow yourself to feel your emotions and find healthy ways to cope, such as talking to a trusted friend or therapist. Take breaks when needed and practice self-care activities, like exercise or meditation.

5. What if the recipient becomes overwhelmed with shock or depression after receiving the bad news?

If the recipient is experiencing shock or depression after receiving bad news, it's important to be patient and understanding. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer to support them in any way you can. Let them know that it's okay to take time to process their emotions and that you are there for them.