How to go about pursuing career in theoretical physics

In summary: Overall, theoretical physicists work with equations and mathematical models to try and understand the fundamental nature of the universe. They also collaborate with experimental physicists to test and refine their theories.
WWCY
I am a year 1 University Physics student and am interested in pursuing a career (if i make the cut) in theoretical physics (in particle physics/cosmology). The thing is, I know precious little about this field (but enough to get the brain juices flowing) hence the following queries:

a) What is the roadmap going to be like? i.e what sort of Masters and PhD education should I be looking at?

b) What Universities have courses in relation to these post-grad studies?

c) What sort of stuff should I really be paying attention to in school?

d) What would be part of a theoretical physicist's day to day life?

e) What are the minimum academic results I'm supposed to achieve? (UK grading system in my country)

e) What's the pay? Will I make enough to get new Liverpool kits every season?

Thanks to those who took their time out to answer my questions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you haven't been welcomed yet ! So here: :welcome:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

Are liverpool kits what I get when I google ? Do you want shorts and socks too ?

upload_2016-11-11_15-3-23.jpeg

Work very hard in your physics and math courses for a couple of years. Once you have worked so hard you have earned the deep respect and admiration of several local faculty, go to them with your query and ask what courses you should choose at your school to best prepare you for your goals.

Pay? Am I supposed to get paid?

BvU said:
Are liverpool kits what I get when I google ? Do you want shorts and socks too ?

If there's enough change in the pocket after paying the bills it would be foolish not to want them!

Thanks a lot for the advice chaps :)

P.S. What's the job scope of a theoretical physicist? Is the perception that they are people who work on equations and try to extrapolate meanings from solutions or lack thereof an accurate one? Do they also dabble in experimental physics from time to time?

WWCY said:
P.S. What's the job scope of a theoretical physicist? Is the perception that they are people who work on equations and try to extrapolate meanings from solutions or lack thereof an accurate one? Do they also dabble in experimental physics from time to time?

Most theoretical physicists are employed by universities. The scope of their jobs is usually to teach a number of assigned classes, write research grants to obtain funding for their theoretical work, and carry out and publish that work in peer reviewed physics journals.

It is more common for experimentalists to dabble in theory than vice-versa.

See:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/false-dichotomy-theorist-experimentalist/

1. What education do I need to pursue a career in theoretical physics?

To become a theoretical physicist, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. This typically involves obtaining a bachelor's degree in physics, followed by a graduate degree (such as a Master's or Ph.D.) in theoretical physics. It is also beneficial to have a strong background in computer science and programming.

2. How important is research experience for a career in theoretical physics?

Research experience is crucial for a career in theoretical physics. It allows you to develop critical thinking skills, gain hands-on experience with complex theories and models, and contribute to the scientific community. Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, and it is highly recommended to take advantage of these opportunities.

3. What skills and qualities are necessary for success in theoretical physics?

Aside from a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, successful theoretical physicists possess excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think abstractly. They also have strong critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as a passion for learning and exploring complex theories.

4. What career options are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists have a variety of career options available to them, both in academia and industry. Many work in research and development for government agencies or private companies, while others pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers. Some may also work in fields such as finance, data science, or engineering.

5. How can I stay updated on developments in the field of theoretical physics?

To stay updated on developments in theoretical physics, it is important to regularly read scientific journals and attend conferences and seminars. Following prominent theoretical physicists on social media and joining online communities and forums can also help you stay informed about the latest research and discoveries in the field.