1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to graph cosine and sine

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1

PHK

I need help on graphing cosine and sine functions. i know how to read a graph and come up with the equation but i dont know how to do it the other way around. i want to be able to graph something like y=-2+2cos0.5x

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
  4. Oct 15, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

For any function in general, where [itex]y= a \cdot f( b (x-c) ) + d[/itex], to graph it we work from the inside out.

So first graph f(x) as normal. Then move that graph c units to the right. If it is (x+c) instead, then c units to the left.

Then squeeze the shifted graph by a factor of b times horizontally. If like in this case, its less than 1, write it in the form 1/b (b is 2 for your example). For when its in the form 1/b,
    then stretch it by a factor of b times horizontally.

Then stretch the whole thing vertically by a factor of a. If a is negative, also flip the graph upside down. Similar thing, if a is less than one, rewrite the coefficient as 1/a. Then squeeze vertically by a factor of a.

Now just must that up by d units, or if d is negative, down d units.

Its really must easier to put into practice and to understand than it looks.

For this one, get the normal Cosine graph, stretch it horizontally by a factor of 2. Eg where the normal cosine graph first intercepts the x axis at pi/2, it is now at pi.

Then, stretch it up and down by a factor of 2. So all the points that it is 0 stay the same, where they are 1 they becoming 2, and where they were -1 they become -2.

Now just shift that down by -2. So where they were -2, it becomes -4, and where they were 2, it becomes 0.

=]

5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

PHK

thanks i got

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?