Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to graph polar equations

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    It's my first time here so I guess I have to introduce myself first.

I am a junior in high school taking Calculus BC and Physics B (taking Physics C next year).
    Currently, as of September 29, 2008, my class is learning of Polar equations.

We just went over basics but I am not perfectly grasping the concept on using polars.

One of the question I received during class was:

r=1/2 + sin([tex]\theta[/tex]

Now, without using calculator, how do I find the area of the equation which excludes the overlaping part.

I know that

A=1/2[tex]\int[/tex]r^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]
    but here we would subtract the inner area.
    No point in using calculator;;; I cannot check my answer either since my teacher said the right answer choice is not shown (it is a multiple choice question).

ps. I don't know how to use the "tex" thing so....

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, what have you done? You have given the formula. What do you get when you do the integration? One thing you can do is a quick graph of the region to see what "overlapping" part they are talking about. It's not that difficult even without a calculator! But I'll give you a hint: for [itex]\theta[/itex]= 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], the graph looks about like an ellipse. For [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex], it is a smaller ellipse inside the first one.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook