1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to graph polar equations

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    It's my first time here so I guess I have to introduce myself first.

I am a junior in high school taking Calculus BC and Physics B (taking Physics C next year).
    Currently, as of September 29, 2008, my class is learning of Polar equations.

We just went over basics but I am not perfectly grasping the concept on using polars.

One of the question I received during class was:

r=1/2 + sin([tex]\theta[/tex]

Now, without using calculator, how do I find the area of the equation which excludes the overlaping part.

I know that

A=1/2[tex]\int[/tex]r^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]
    but here we would subtract the inner area.
    No point in using calculator;;; I cannot check my answer either since my teacher said the right answer choice is not shown (it is a multiple choice question).

ps. I don't know how to use the "tex" thing so....
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what have you done? You have given the formula. What do you get when you do the integration? One thing you can do is a quick graph of the region to see what "overlapping" part they are talking about. It's not that difficult even without a calculator! But I'll give you a hint: for [itex]\theta[/itex]= 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], the graph looks about like an ellipse. For [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex], it is a smaller ellipse inside the first one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?