1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Graph using a Computer?

1. Jul 21, 2004 #1
    umm guys, i really need your help on this one. I had this math subejct before wherein i used the book, if i remember correctly, The Calculus 7 (TC7) by Louis Leithold. I saw some graphings in this book, also some where there were this graphs of functions revolved either along the x or y axis. I understand that this refers to volume produced by revolving then being solved by integration.

What i want to know guys is how do you do such graphing in the computer, such like graphing a parabola and revolving it along the x-axis. I looked at the preface of the book and said it used mathematica and adobe illustrator, but i can't seem to be able to do it, since im a newbie.

Anyway, can anyone of you recomemd a program or it can be a link to a tutorial to accomplish this? Thanks. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you own a copy of Mathematica?

- Warren

4. Jul 22, 2004 #3
    Graphmatica is a free downloadable program that allows you to create any kind of graph, however, it doesn't have the feature of rotating the graph around a certain axis.

But it's still better than having nothing ^_^

5. Jul 22, 2004 #4

i do own a copy of mathematica version 5 and also adobe illustrator 10. so anyone who can give me a tutorial to acomplish graphing a function then rotating it to a certain axis to generate a solid of revolution?

please, i really need to learn how to do it. i'm pretty much curious. :)

6. Jul 22, 2004 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi ermines,

From Mathematica's website:

Shows how to do all kinds of plots with examples.

If you need more explanation than that, just ask.

7. Jul 24, 2004 #6
    thanks enigma although i think i saw that one already at the help file included in the mathematica cd. what i really want to know it it really is possible to rotate a certain function with given bounds on a certain axis to generate a solid of revolution using mathematica. i'm actually using illustrator now with its blend tool to accomplish this task but i still don't have any luck.

well, im still waiting for someone who could give me a tutorial. thanks :)

8. Sep 8, 2004 #7
    You can try Gnuplot, it is the one mostly used by most people who publish in respected journals.

Max

9. Sep 8, 2004 #8
    Use TI calculator and just connect to the computer
    or just download teh software to the computer
    you an just then print the graphs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?