How to Graph using a Computer?

In summary, the conversation was about someone asking for help in graphing a function and rotating it along a certain axis to generate a solid of revolution. They mentioned using the book "The Calculus 7" and being a newbie in using programs like Mathematica and Adobe Illustrator. They were looking for recommendations or tutorials on how to accomplish this task. Some suggestions were to use Graphmatica, Mathematica, Adobe Illustrator, and Gnuplot, while others suggested using a TI calculator or downloading software to the computer.
ermines
umm guys, i really need your help on this one. I had this math subejct before wherein i used the book, if i remember correctly, The Calculus 7 (TC7) by Louis Leithold. I saw some graphings in this book, also some where there were this graphs of functions revolved either along the x or y axis. I understand that this refers to volume produced by revolving then being solved by integration.

What i want to know guys is how do you do such graphing in the computer, such like graphing a parabola and revolving it along the x-axis. I looked at the preface of the book and said it used mathematica and adobe illustrator, but i can't seem to be able to do it, since I am a newbie.

Anyway, can anyone of you recomemd a program or it can be a link to a tutorial to accomplish this? Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you own a copy of Mathematica?

- Warren

Graphmatica is a free downloadable program that allows you to create any kind of graph, however, it doesn't have the feature of rotating the graph around a certain axis.

But it's still better than having nothing ^_^

chroot said:
Do you own a copy of Mathematica?

- Warren

i do own a copy of mathematica version 5 and also adobe illustrator 10. so anyone who can give me a tutorial to acomplish graphing a function then rotating it to a certain axis to generate a solid of revolution?

please, i really need to learn how to do it. I'm pretty much curious. :)

Hi ermines,

From Mathematica's website:

Shows how to do all kinds of plots with examples.

If you need more explanation than that, just ask.

thanks enigma although i think i saw that one already at the help file included in the mathematica cd. what i really want to know it it really is possible to rotate a certain function with given bounds on a certain axis to generate a solid of revolution using mathematica. I'm actually using illustrator now with its blend tool to accomplish this task but i still don't have any luck.

well, I am still waiting for someone who could give me a tutorial. thanks :)

You can try Gnuplot, it is the one mostly used by most people who publish in respected journals.

Max

ermines said:
umm guys, i really need your help on this one. I had this math subejct before wherein i used the book, if i remember correctly, The Calculus 7 (TC7) by Louis Leithold. I saw some graphings in this book, also some where there were this graphs of functions revolved either along the x or y axis. I understand that this refers to volume produced by revolving then being solved by integration.

What i want to know guys is how do you do such graphing in the computer, such like graphing a parabola and revolving it along the x-axis. I looked at the preface of the book and said it used mathematica and adobe illustrator, but i can't seem to be able to do it, since I am a newbie.

Anyway, can anyone of you recomemd a program or it can be a link to a tutorial to accomplish this? Thanks. :)
Use TI calculator and just connect to the computer
or just download teh software to the computer
you an just then print the graphs

1. How do I input data into a graph using a computer?

To input data into a graph using a computer, you will need to open a graphing software or program. Then, you can manually enter your data points or copy and paste them from a spreadsheet or document.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my graph?

Yes, most graphing software or programs allow for customization of the appearance of your graph. You can change the colors, fonts, labels, and other design elements to fit your preferences or needs.

3. What types of graphs can I create using a computer?

There are many types of graphs that can be created using a computer, including line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and more. The type of graph you choose will depend on the type of data you are representing and the purpose of your graph.

4. Is it possible to edit my graph after it has been created?

Yes, most graphing software or programs allow for editing of your graph after it has been created. You can add or remove data points, change the design elements, and make other modifications as needed.

5. How can I save or share my graph?

To save or share your graph, you can typically export it as an image or PDF file. You can also copy and paste it into a document or presentation or share it directly from the graphing software or program.