Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Hide An Airplane Factory

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://thinkorthwim.com/2007/08/19/1034/

Someone in our building mentioned that it was primarily Hollywood set designers that constructed the camoflauge.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2
    Wow, that's a pretty good disguise.

Found this funny:

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Aug 30, 2007 #4
    As the comments in your link point out, that factory was very close to a movie studio and who better to do the job than set designers who routinely remade studio street sets for each new film? I wouldn't say this camouflage was their best work, though. But maybe it was more effective in color.

6. Aug 30, 2007 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For it's time, I think it looks incredibly effective. Granted, the camoflauge strategy from the 60's on is probably cheaper - smog!

7. Aug 30, 2007 #6
    Are you sucking up to MIH? You imitated her misspelling.

8. Aug 30, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bob was trying to camouflage my spelling mistake. Thank you, Bob. You're a good pal! :approve:

9. Aug 31, 2007 #8
    Hehe, wait till you get his bill. I hear he charges Hollywood prices for his camouflage jobs.

Actually, I noticed your misspelling right away but for erroneous reasons: I was sure it was spelled "camoflage". My spell check told me that, too, was wrong, and I resorted to googling it to get the corrective question "Did you mean: camouflage". (For some reason they don't punctuate that with a question mark.) Regardless, I think we're all now aware you're working on a secret airplane factory.

10. Aug 31, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, and as a side benefit, all the employees had covered parking. I bet that was a nice treat during Burbank summers.

11. Aug 31, 2007 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right along side Burbank airport is another runway for Lockheed's Skunk works that built U2, SR71 etc. In the biography of Kelly and the Skunk works they explain how all the conspiacy nuts, spies and plane watchers were camped out at the secret test bases in the desert - they flew these secret planes out of an airport in the middle of Hollywood at night, carefully timed to avoid spy satelites.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?