How To Hide An Airplane Factory

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, during World War II the Army Corps of Engineers needed to hide the Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant to protect it from a Japanese air attack. They covered it with camouflage netting and trompe l'oeil to make it look like a rural subdivision from the air.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
During World War II the Army Corps of Engineers needed to hide the Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant to protect it from a Japanese air attack. They covered it with camouflage netting and trompe l’oeil to make it look like a rural subdivision from the air.

http://thinkorthwim.com/2007/08/19/1034/

Someone in our building mentioned that it was primarily Hollywood set designers that constructed the camoflauge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's a pretty good disguise.

Found this funny:
Well aware that the Lockheed aircraft plant in Burbank, just blocks from his studio, was certain to be a high-value target, [Jack Warner] was horrified one day to have someone point out that, from the air, a Japanese bomber might not be able to tell the difference. Warner promptly visited the studio’s paint shop and ordered the erection of an enormous sign on the roof of one of the Warner soundstages. The result? A twenty-foot arrow pointing to Burbank, along with the words: LOCKHEED - THAT-A-WAY!

Math Is Hard said:
Someone in our building mentioned that it was primarily Hollywood set designers that constructed the camoflauge.

As the comments in your link point out, that factory was very close to a movie studio and who better to do the job than set designers who routinely remade studio street sets for each new film? I wouldn't say this camouflage was their best work, though. But maybe it was more effective in color.

zoobyshoe said:
As the comments in your link point out, that factory was very close to a movie studio and who better to do the job than set designers who routinely remade studio street sets for each new film? I wouldn't say this camouflage was their best work, though. But maybe it was more effective in color.

For it's time, I think it looks incredibly effective. Granted, the camoflauge strategy from the 60's on is probably cheaper - smog!

BobG said:
...the camoflauge strategy...
Are you sucking up to MIH? You imitated her misspelling.

Bob was trying to camouflage my spelling mistake. Thank you, Bob. You're a good pal! :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Bob was trying to camouflage my spelling mistake. Thank you, Bob. You're a good pal! :approve:
Hehe, wait till you get his bill. I hear he charges Hollywood prices for his camouflage jobs.

Actually, I noticed your misspelling right away but for erroneous reasons: I was sure it was spelled "camoflage". My spell check told me that, too, was wrong, and I resorted to googling it to get the corrective question "Did you mean: camouflage". (For some reason they don't punctuate that with a question mark.) Regardless, I think we're all now aware you're working on a secret airplane factory.

Wow, and as a side benefit, all the employees had covered parking. I bet that was a nice treat during Burbank summers.

Right along side Burbank airport is another runway for Lockheed's Skunk works that built U2, SR71 etc. In the biography of Kelly and the Skunk works they explain how all the conspiacy nuts, spies and plane watchers were camped out at the secret test bases in the desert - they flew these secret planes out of an airport in the middle of Hollywood at night, carefully timed to avoid spy satelites.

Last edited:

1. How big does the airplane factory need to be in order to hide it?

The size of the airplane factory needed to be hidden depends on various factors such as the size of the airplanes being produced, the location of the factory, and the level of secrecy required. However, in general, the bigger the factory, the more challenging it will be to hide it.

2. What are some possible methods for hiding an airplane factory?

Some possible methods for hiding an airplane factory include building it underground, camouflaging it with natural elements such as trees and bushes, or constructing it in a remote and secluded location. Another option could be to disguise the factory as a different type of building, such as a warehouse or office building.

3. How can sound and noise be minimized in a hidden airplane factory?

In order to minimize sound and noise in a hidden airplane factory, soundproofing materials can be used in the construction of the factory. Additionally, the factory can be located in a remote area with minimal surrounding noise, and special measures such as acoustic barriers and sound-absorbing panels can be implemented.

4. What security measures should be taken to keep an airplane factory hidden?

Security measures are crucial in keeping an airplane factory hidden. Some possible measures include strict access control, surveillance cameras, and security personnel. It is also important to regularly monitor the surrounding area for any suspicious activity that may compromise the factory's secrecy.

5. How long does it take to hide an airplane factory?

The time it takes to hide an airplane factory can vary depending on the chosen method and the size of the factory. For example, constructing an underground factory may take longer than camouflaging it with natural elements. It is also important to carefully plan and execute the hiding process to ensure it is done effectively and without drawing unwanted attention.