Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to hold you pencil

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

I am trying to make sure that I hold my pens and pencils correctly. Is it true that the 4th finger (ring finger) is NEVER supposed to press against the utensil in the proper grip? I think that is what they are showing at the link but then I guess I have been holding my utensils wrong for many years.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    Dont worry about how to hold a pen and pencil; however, make sure you know how to hold a fork and knife. Most Americans dont know how.

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    Well sometimes it feels a little awkward when I write so I want to correct this once and for. I write MUCH more than I hold a fork or knife.

5. May 11, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is something I noticed, actually.. how many Americans cut their food with fork in left hand, knife in right, and then swap them over: put the knife down and pick the food up with the fork in their right hand to eat it. Three of the Americans I know do that.. I wonder whether it's a trend?

6. May 11, 2008 #5
    Yes, but you look MUCH worse when your at a dinner and cant hold a fork and knife propely than when writing something down.

I hold my pencil like in the link you gave me. Thats how we were taught in school.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  7. May 11, 2008 #6
    No, they just dont know how to eat. I've seen lots and LOTS of people hold their fork and knife with a FIST GRIP. Yikes. The foods already dead....relax......

8. May 11, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

LOL, that sounds way too funny! I wish I'd seen them!

9. May 11, 2008 #8
    When I write, my fourth finger is always pressed against the writing surface. Although, I have seen some unusual writing styles during my time. I say do whatever works best for you!

Knife and fork......i'll have to observe my friends on this one. :rofl:

10. May 11, 2008 #9
    I would guess nearly all of Americans eat this way.

11. May 11, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh Geeze, the people that hold their utensils like hand trowels. <shivers>

12. May 11, 2008 #11
    Whats a hand trowel?

13. May 11, 2008 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

*runs and hides under the sofa in the predominantly American forum!*

14. May 11, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Actually it goes back a long way, and I guess it depends where and when in other parts of the world you are from on how you hold your fork.

I'm French and every French person I know does it that way, as well as the Italians I know. And that is the correct American way. I did date a guy from England and he drove me crazy at the table. :grumpy:

15. May 11, 2008 #14
    Can someone answer the only question in my opening post with a YES or a NO?

16. May 11, 2008 #15
    I hold the fork with the left, knife with the right. But im left handed, so I dont switch. I hold the fork with the prongs pointed down when I use it.

17. May 11, 2008 #16
    It does not matter. Hold it however is most comfortable for you. I never use it. I only use my first three fingers, thumb, pointing fingure, and middle finger.

18. May 11, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True. I don't know how a person could get any maneuverability if they're using their fourth finger. However, I don't know how a person could write with the pen resting against the webbing between their thumb and forefinger (actually, I guess it's not that big a deal once you try it - in fact, it forces me to write a little larger which isn't an altogether bad thing considering my writing is normally pretty small).

My pen is almost parallel with my forefinger, resting about halfway along the first joint of my finger. I tend to rest my hand lightly on the knuckle of my little finger so I can get maximum movement of my pen without moving my hand to make the letters. That separates the motions. My fingers to make the letters while my hand just controls positioning.

19. May 11, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People are a lot less likely to steal food off your plate if they're worried you might stab their hand. Believe me, it works! I've been to lots of high class dinners (I even ate at the Red Lobster once) and no one's ever stolen my food.

20. May 11, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YES.

Though, my sister still holds a pencil the way you describe with 4 fingers instead of the usual 3. It always looks like she failed Kindergarten when she's writing; it looks awkward and uncomfortable and her handwriting is atrocious.

21. May 11, 2008 #20
    I remember my first grade teacher making this one kid sit in front of the whole class for an hour while she tried to correct the way he held writing utensils. Musta scared the sh!t outta him, he's probably scarred for life. Anyways, I hold mine with my middle finger pointing down, perpendicular to the direction of the pen, with my thumb opposite it, and my index finger along the length of the grip...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?