How to hold you pencil

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

I am trying to make sure that I hold my pens and pencils correctly. Is it true that the 4th finger (ring finger) is NEVER supposed to press against the utensil in the proper grip? I think that is what they are showing at the link but then I guess I have been holding my utensils wrong for many years.

Answers and Replies

Dont worry about how to hold a pen and pencil; however, make sure you know how to hold a fork and knife. Most Americans dont know how.

Dont worry about how to hold a pen and pencil; however, make sure you know how to hold a fork and knife. Most Americans dont know how.
Well sometimes it feels a little awkward when I write so I want to correct this once and for. I write MUCH more than I hold a fork or knife.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is something I noticed, actually.. how many Americans cut their food with fork in left hand, knife in right, and then swap them over: put the knife down and pick the food up with the fork in their right hand to eat it. Three of the Americans I know do that.. I wonder whether it's a trend?

Well sometimes it feels a little awkward when I write so I want to correct this once and for. I write MUCH more than I hold a fork or knife.
Yes, but you look MUCH worse when your at a dinner and cant hold a fork and knife propely than when writing something down.

I hold my pencil like in the link you gave me. Thats how we were taught in school.

Last edited:
This is something I noticed, actually.. how many Americans cut their food with fork in left hand, knife in right, and then swap them over: put the knife down and pick the food up with the fork in their right hand to eat it. Three of the Americans I know do that.. I wonder whether it's a trend?
No, they just dont know how to eat. I've seen lots and LOTS of people hold their fork and knife with a FIST GRIP. Yikes. The foods already dead....relax......

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, they just dont know how to eat. I've seen lots and LOTS of people hold their fork and knife with a FIST GRIP. Yikes. The foods already dead....relax......
LOL, that sounds way too funny! I wish I'd seen them!

When I write, my fourth finger is always pressed against the writing surface. Although, I have seen some unusual writing styles during my time. I say do whatever works best for you!

Knife and fork......i'll have to observe my friends on this one. :rofl:

I would guess nearly all of Americans eat this way.

Evo
Mentor
Oh Geeze, the people that hold their utensils like hand trowels. <shivers>

Whats a hand trowel?

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I would guess nearly all of Americans eat this way.
*runs and hides under the sofa in the predominantly American forum!*

Evo
Mentor
Actually it goes back a long way, and I guess it depends where and when in other parts of the world you are from on how you hold your fork.

I'm French and every French person I know does it that way, as well as the Italians I know. And that is the correct American way. I did date a guy from England and he drove me crazy at the table. :grumpy:

Can someone answer the only question in my opening post with a YES or a NO?

I hold the fork with the left, knife with the right. But im left handed, so I dont switch. I hold the fork with the prongs pointed down when I use it.

It does not matter. Hold it however is most comfortable for you. I never use it. I only use my first three fingers, thumb, pointing fingure, and middle finger.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

I am trying to make sure that I hold my pens and pencils correctly. Is it true that the 4th finger (ring finger) is NEVER supposed to press against the utensil in the proper grip? I think that is what they are showing at the link but then I guess I have been holding my utensils wrong for many years.
True. I don't know how a person could get any maneuverability if they're using their fourth finger. However, I don't know how a person could write with the pen resting against the webbing between their thumb and forefinger (actually, I guess it's not that big a deal once you try it - in fact, it forces me to write a little larger which isn't an altogether bad thing considering my writing is normally pretty small).

My pen is almost parallel with my forefinger, resting about halfway along the first joint of my finger. I tend to rest my hand lightly on the knuckle of my little finger so I can get maximum movement of my pen without moving my hand to make the letters. That separates the motions. My fingers to make the letters while my hand just controls positioning.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
People are a lot less likely to steal food off your plate if they're worried you might stab their hand. Believe me, it works! I've been to lots of high class dinners (I even ate at the Red Lobster once) and no one's ever stolen my food.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
YES.

Though, my sister still holds a pencil the way you describe with 4 fingers instead of the usual 3. It always looks like she failed Kindergarten when she's writing; it looks awkward and uncomfortable and her handwriting is atrocious.

I remember my first grade teacher making this one kid sit in front of the whole class for an hour while she tried to correct the way he held writing utensils. Musta scared the sh!t outta him, he's probably scarred for life. Anyways, I hold mine with my middle finger pointing down, perpendicular to the direction of the pen, with my thumb opposite it, and my index finger along the length of the grip...

I don't think there is really a right or wrong way to hond your pencil. It's pretty much however you feel comfortable writing. Don't worry about how other people hold theirs.

I use my my first four fingers, it just feel more comfy to me, so just go woth how you feel :smile:

Danger
Gold Member
For some reason, I hold both a fork and a pencil differently when using my left hand than with my right. It's just what feels natural when I pick it up.
As for eating, I keep the fork in one hand and the knife in the other. There's no need to switch.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I can't. Because none of the above is the answer for me.
I took an intensive course about 30 years ago that required me to write non-stop for about 8 hours a day for six months.

I found that if I shifted the writing utensil, a mechanical pencil for the most part in those days, over one finger, it relieved almost all of the stress of holding the device. Scribbling non-stop for hours at an end was then effortless.

Now though, every time I do it, the ghost of my third grade teacher comes back haunt me and screams; "Is that the way I told you to hold a pencil!?"

Being the self-moderated schizophrenic that I am, I just shut her voice out, and continue writing. :smile:

---------------------

hold your writing device between your index and middle fingers. let the rest of the gang move the pencil. it's a most delightful feeling. writing without effort.

Now you know why I call me Ommmmm...................

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now though, every time I do it, the ghost of my third grade teacher comes back haunt me and screams; "Is that the way I told you to hold a pencil!?"

Being the self-moderated schizophrenic that I am, I just shut her voice out, and continue writing. :smile:
I know the feeling:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Blackadder_IV_-_Goodbyeee.jpg [Broken]

Of course, using this technique makes me twice as fast as drawing noses, keeping in mind http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-on-Pencil-Portrait-Drawing---The-Nose&id=1153039

Remember that the nose is part of the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a proper way to hold a knife and fork?????? Man I wish I was taught that crap growing up. I wonder if I'm one of those apes you guys are laughing at while out to eat.

Last edited: