How to include resistance of wire and voltmeter in Kirchhoff equations

In summary, the resistance of the wires and internal resistance of the voltmeter will have minimal effect on the measured voltages and currents in this circuit. The wires can be replaced with 0.01 Ohm resistors and a 10 MOhm resistor should be placed in parallel with any of the resistors when using the modified voltmeter. However, in other circuits with different component values, there may be a significant change in the measured values.
jey1234

Homework Statement

I'm doing a lab report and the last question is, how would your measurements (currents and voltages across each resistor) be affected if the resistance of the wires is 0.01 Ω and the internal resistance of the voltmeter is 10 MΩ?

EM_Lab_3_Kirchhoff1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to take a guess here. For the wire, do I just pretend there is a resistor of 0.01 Ω right next to one of the power supplies? Or do I have to add it in each of the three branches? For the voltmeter, do I add a 10 MΩ resistor in parallel to each of the three resistors, find their equivalent resistance and then use that for the Kirchhoff current equations? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In short you would need to replace all wires with 0.01Ohm resistors and place a 10MOhm resistor between the leads of your otherwise ideal voltmeter.

So in this circuit the end result is to put 0.01 Ohm resistors in series with all of the resistors. Putting a 0.01 Ohm in series with a 50, 100 or 200 Ohm resistor will have virtually no effect because 50 >> 0.01.

When you use the modified voltmeter to measure the voltage across any of the resistors the 10MOhm resistor will be in parallel with the resistor. This will have no significant effect because 10MOhm >> 50, 100 or 200 Ohm.

So in this circuit there will be no significant change to the measured voltages an currents. In other circuits with different component values there could be a significant change.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of including resistance of wire and voltmeter in Kirchhoff equations?

The resistance of wire and voltmeter are important factors in electrical circuits that affect the flow of current and voltage. Including them in Kirchhoff equations allows for more accurate calculations and predictions of the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's law: R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. The resistance can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the wire material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

3. How do I include the resistance of a wire in Kirchhoff equations?

The resistance of a wire can be included in Kirchhoff equations by replacing the wire with a resistor with the same resistance value. This allows for the wire's resistance to be accounted for in the calculations.

4. How do I include the voltmeter in Kirchhoff equations?

The voltmeter can be included in Kirchhoff equations by connecting it in parallel with the component or branch that is being measured. This ensures that the voltage drop across the voltmeter is taken into account in the calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to including resistance of wire and voltmeter in Kirchhoff equations?

Including the resistance of wire and voltmeter in Kirchhoff equations assumes that they have a negligible effect on the overall circuit. This may not always be the case and can lead to slight inaccuracies in the calculations. Additionally, the resistance of wire and voltmeter may change with temperature, which can also affect the accuracy of the calculations.