How to increase the stiffness of a simple structure

In summary, the tool needs to be stiffer in order to prevent it from moving along the rail. It can be made out of tubes instead of sheet metal, and there are no limitations on materials or manufacturing techniques. The cost is under 50 euros.
omarmorocci
Hello everybody,

I am currently working on desinging a tool, and I would like to get your advice on how to increase it's stiffness.
upload_2017-5-29_16-53-46.png

The tool will be used for correct positioning of a component.
It consists of 2 parts :
upload_2017-5-29_16-54-47.png

And
upload_2017-5-29_16-55-4.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Need some more information . What is the component being held and how is the holding tool supported ?

Way too little information. In which plane does it need to be stiffer? Any limitations on materials? Manufacturing techniques? Cost?

Simple answer might be to make it out of tubes rather than sheet.

Nidum said:
Need some more information . What is the component being held and how is the holding tool supported ?
Part one is connection the main frame via nuts and bolts
Part two has 4 teeth like structures that hangs onto the main frame

CWatters said:
Way too little information. In which plane does it need to be stiffer? Any limitations on materials? Manufacturing techniques? Cost?

Simple answer might be to make it out of tubes rather than sheet.
Direction.png

The only important direction is the one shown via the arrow.
Material is either sheet metal or aluminium.
no limitation on manufacturing techniques
Cost should be under 50 euros

I'm afraid I still can't really visualise what's fixed and where the load is in relation to that fixed point.

CWatters said:
I'm afraid I still can't really visualise what's fixed and where the load is in relation to that fixed point.
I will post a complete picture tomorrow to show exactly how everything's connected

CWatters said:

This is how the tool is connectec to the rail.
There is no load on it. The only requirement is that it's position along the rail should not exceed +- 5mm
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 481
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 482
How is the end of the fixture with the tested part vertically supported and what is the weight load on the fixture from the tested part?

If there is any friction force in the direction you indicate then there is no provision in the fixture to prevent the fixture from twisting the vertical attachment arm of the fixture and deflecting the arm in the direction of the load you indicate.

1. How can I increase the stiffness of a simple structure without adding more material?

One way to increase the stiffness of a structure without adding more material is to change the shape or geometry of the structure. For example, adding diagonal supports or changing the angle of the structure can greatly increase stiffness without adding extra material.

2. Can using different materials increase the stiffness of a simple structure?

Yes, using materials with higher stiffness such as steel or carbon fiber can greatly increase the stiffness of a simple structure. However, this may also add weight to the structure.

3. Does the size of the structure affect its stiffness?

Yes, the size of a structure can greatly affect its stiffness. Generally, larger structures tend to be stiffer, as they have more material and can distribute loads more evenly. However, there are certain design factors, such as beam thickness, that also play a role in stiffness.

4. Is it possible to increase the stiffness of a structure after it has been built?

Yes, it is possible to increase the stiffness of a structure after it has been built by adding additional supports or reinforcements. However, this may require structural modifications and should be done carefully to ensure the overall stability of the structure.

5. Are there any disadvantages to increasing the stiffness of a structure?

Increasing the stiffness of a structure may lead to higher costs and may also add weight to the structure. Additionally, if the structure is too stiff, it may become brittle and more prone to failure under certain loads. It is important to find a balance between stiffness and flexibility in a structure for optimal performance.