How can I add images and nomenclature in my LaTeX thesis report?

In summary: You can use the \printnomenclature command to introduce the nomenclature.Hi! I have another question about my thesis report.I have been trying to add images (.jpg or .eps format) into the report, but every attempt has failed. Can anyone please provide me the right procedure for adding images?In summary, I am using MiKTex and TeXnicCenter for writing my Thesis Report. I want to add images (.jpg or .eps format) into the report, but every attempt has failed. Can anyone please provide me the right procedure for adding images?
bhaazee
Hello PF,
I am using MiKTex and TeXnicCenter for writing my Thesis Report. I want to add images (.jpg or .eps format) into the report.

The last one I tried was,

\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{figure}
\includegraphics[scale=0.40]{121127332}
\end{figure}

What I get is just a empty squared box with the file name 121127332.jpg

Although I have been trying various procedures every attempt to add an image has failed.
Can anyone please provide me the right procedure for adding images

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
That results from using the [draft] option to graphicx. Apparently MiKTex makes draft the default.

Try using \usepackage[final]{graphicx} instead of \usepackage{graphicx} .

Thanks for mentioning about draft. Indeed I have mentioned "draft" in documentclass

Now obtaining proper output. I have yet another doubt. For the sections and subsections I have been obatining the numbers as follows

0.1 Introduction
0.2 blah blah
0.2.1 blah blah

I would like to know how to change the numbers to 1, 2, 2.1, etc. Any suggestions?

Regards

It sounds like you are using the report document class, or something similar, but are only using section, subsection, etc. Reports have chapters, sections, subsections, etc. If you don't want chapters you should use the article document class instead.

Hi! I have yet another doubt

I would like to add nomenclature for my thesis report. After googling, I tried this sample doc. Yet to obtain the proper results

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{nomencl}
\makenomenclature
\begin{document}
\section*{Main equations}
\begin{equation}
a=\frac{N}{A}
\end{equation}%
\nomenclature{$a$}{The number of angels per unit area}%
\nomenclature{$N$}{The number of angels per needle point}%
\nomenclature{$A$}{The area of the needle point}%
The equation $\sigma = m a$%
\nomenclature{$\sigma$}{The total mass of angels per unit area}%
\nomenclature{$m$}{The mass of one angel}
follows easily.
\printnomenclature
\end{document}

After typing the above, All I get is just the equation

Could you suggest me the right procedure for introducing the nomenclature

Regards

1. How do I insert images in LaTeX?

To insert images in LaTeX, you need to use the graphicx package. First, you need to include the package in your document's preamble by using the command \usepackage{graphicx}. Then, you can insert an image using the command \includegraphics{image_file_name}, where image_file_name is the name of the image file you want to insert.

2. What types of image files can be inserted in LaTeX?

LaTeX can handle various types of image files, such as JPEG, PNG, PDF, and EPS. However, it is recommended to use vector graphics formats, such as PDF and EPS, for better resolution and scalability.

3. How can I resize an image in LaTeX?

To resize an image in LaTeX, you can use the optional arguments of the \includegraphics{} command. For example, \includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{image_file_name} will scale the image to half of the text width. You can also specify the height using height= instead of width=.

4. Can I add a caption and label to an image in LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a caption and label to an image in LaTeX by using the \caption{} and \label{} commands, respectively. These commands should be placed after the \includegraphics{} command. The label can then be referenced in the text using the \ref{} command.

5. Is it possible to place images side by side in LaTeX?

Yes, you can place images side by side in LaTeX by using the subfigure environment from the subcaption package. This allows you to include multiple images in a single figure with individual captions and labels. You can also adjust the spacing between the images using the \hspace{} command.