How to inspire the next generation of scientists

• Thread starter hsdrop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generation
In summary: I think that's when I really started to become interested in science.In summary, two of my uncles encouraged me to get into science and math, but I didn't realize it at the time. My dads brother would give me science kits like a microscope, a small CRC book of math tables and other science related books which I pretended to understand and would read from time to time. My other uncle by marriage gave me old manuals on programming in Fortran IV and Basic. He also let me play on one of the earliest teletype machines, the Gunner IV game and I thought the computer was alive. My parents would always let me get things that were of some educational value so I'd scour the Edmund Scientific catalog looking for
hsdrop
I was watching Star Talk and the topic was women in science fields so I got thinking (which always means trouble) I would love to hear how either you inspired someone else or someone else that you have know has inspired you to become interested in the any field of science

Likes Pepper Mint
Physics news on Phys.org
As I look back, two of my uncles encouraged me to get into science and math but I didn't realize it at the time. My dads brother would give me science kits like a microscope, a small CRC book of math tables and other science related books which I pretended to understand and would read from time to time.

My other uncle by marriage gave me old manuals on programming in Fortran IV and Basic. He also let me play on one of the earliest teletype machines, the Gunner IV game and I thought the computer was alive.

My parents would always let me get things that were of some educational value so I'd scour the Edmund Scientific catalog looking for interesting stuff (stovepipe telescope, Digicomp I, Think-A-Dot toy computers...) and while in middle school I got my first slide rule and later a bamboo version. I lived the life of a geek before there were geeks but without pocket protectors, And so it goes.

In elementary school, I read a book on Albert Einstein and that got me interested in science. Later I read one on the Trachtenberg Speed Math by Anne Cutler in an attempt to get really good in arithmetical operations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385061765/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and while I never mastered it fully I was able to fool friends into thinking I was smart.

Also I hated memorizing the multiplication tables and had some real difficulties remembering 9x6 vs 7x8 until I learned the digits add to 9 rule when 9 is a multiplier ie 9x6 = 54 and 5+4=9.

In high school, there was Star Trek...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes hsdrop

What is the importance of inspiring the next generation of scientists?

The future of science and innovation relies on the new ideas and discoveries made by the next generation of scientists. By inspiring and encouraging young minds to pursue a career in science, we are ensuring that there will be a continuous advancement in various fields of science.

How can I inspire young people to become scientists?

One effective way to inspire the next generation of scientists is to provide them with opportunities to engage in hands-on activities and experiments. This allows them to experience the excitement and satisfaction of making their own discoveries and encourages their curiosity and interest in science.

What role do mentors play in inspiring young scientists?

Mentors can have a significant impact on inspiring the next generation of scientists. By sharing their knowledge, expertise, and passion for science, mentors can guide and motivate young people to pursue careers in various scientific fields.

What resources are available for inspiring the next generation of scientists?

There are many resources available for inspiring young people to become scientists. These include science museums, educational programs, STEM competitions, and online resources such as science blogs and videos. These resources can provide a fun and interactive way for young people to learn about science and its real-world applications.

How can we promote diversity and inclusivity in inspiring the next generation of scientists?

To promote diversity and inclusivity in inspiring the next generation of scientists, it is important to provide equal opportunities and representation for individuals from all backgrounds. This can include showcasing diverse role models in science, providing resources in multiple languages, and creating inclusive and welcoming spaces for all individuals to learn and explore science.