1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate gravity loads to frame element formulation?

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    Dear All,

How am I supposed to integrate gravity load (induced by frame element self mass ) into the general equation of K*U = F?

If I presume the element self mass load is uniformly distributed along the length of the frame element then then that uniform loads can be converted into equivalent nodal loads and applied at the nodes of whole structure. If element is horizontal then equivalent nodal loads should result in vertical shear and moment, but what happens if element is inclined or veritcal in space. ? Then self mass is not supposed to create (especially for vertical) any moment in the frame element as long as it acts only in vertical direction. I'm bit confused with that issue does anybody can shed some light on that ?

Regards,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted