How to integrate this equation

• Thread starter bhartish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discussed integrating a complex function with respect to a variable in certain limits. The expert suggested using substitution to simplify the integration process and provided a step-by-step explanation.
bhartish
T(z,t) = ∫ ( exp(-αz)* erfc(-α*sqrt((k*t)/(c*ρ))+0.5 sqrt((c*ρ*z)/(k*t)))*exp( -((t-ζ)/ζ0)^2)

integrate with respect to ζ in the limits 0 and t

Help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are letting complicated lookig constants confuse you.

If I read the parentheses correctly that is
[tex]\int (A+ 0.5\sqrt{Be^{-2(t- ζ)/ζ_0}})dζ[/tex]
with A and B representing those rather complicated constants in your integral.
I presume you know that [itex]\int Adt= At+ C[/itex]. For the second integral, let [itex]u= -2(t- ζ)/ζ_0[/itex], so that [itex]dζ= (ζ_0/2)du[/itex], so the second integral becomes
[tex]B\frac{\zeta_0}{2}\int e^u du[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed the LaTeX in the integral.
HallsofIvy said:
If I read the parentheses correctly that is
[tex]\int (A+ 0.5\sqrt{Be^{-2(t- ζ)/ζ_0}})dζ[/tex]
with A and B representing those rather complicated constants in your integral.
I presume you know that [itex]\int Adt= At+ C[/itex]. For the second integral, let [itex]u= -2(t- ζ)/ζ_0[/itex], so that [itex]dζ= (ζ_0/2)du[/itex], so the second integral becomes
[tex]B\frac{\zeta_0}{2}\int e^u du[/tex]

1. What are the steps for integrating an equation?

The steps for integrating an equation depend on the type of equation you are working with. However, in general, the steps for integration involve identifying the function to be integrated, determining the limits of integration, applying the appropriate integration technique, and solving the resulting expression.

2. What is the purpose of integrating an equation?

Integrating an equation allows us to find the area under a curve, which can help us solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It also allows us to find the antiderivative of a function, which is useful for finding the original function from its derivative.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

There are several integration techniques, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The best way to determine which technique to use is to look at the form of the equation and see which technique is most applicable. Practice and familiarity with different techniques also play a role.

4. Can all equations be integrated?

No, not all equations can be integrated. Some equations are not solvable using the traditional integration techniques and require more advanced methods. In some cases, an equation may have no analytical solution and must be solved numerically.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating an equation?

One common mistake is to forget to add the constant of integration when solving the resulting expression. It's also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check for mistakes when substituting variables. Additionally, correctly setting up the limits of integration is crucial for obtaining the correct solution.