How to Integrate Polynomials and Solve for Unknown Terms?

• Thread starter Mr. Snookums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the expression \int{\frac{x^3+x^2+x-1}{x^2+2x+2}dx}, with the suggestion to use a u substitution and observation that differentiating the denominator can simplify the integration. The final suggestion is to integrate the expression \int\frac{f ' (x)}{f(x)} \;dx, which can be done using a simple substitution.
Mr. Snookums
[tex]\int{\frac{x^3+x^2+x-1}{x^2+2x+2}dx}[/tex]

I divided the polynomails and got:

[tex]\int{(x-1)dx}+\int{\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x+2}dx}[/tex]

This becomes:

[tex]x^2-x+\int{\frac{x}{x^+2x+2}dx}+\arctan{(x+2)}[/tex]

If I've done this right, how do I integrate the third term?

The arctan should have the (x+2) in brackets but I'm not too skilled in the use of Latex.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Snookums said:
[tex]\int{\frac{x^3+x^2+x-1}{x^2+2x+2}dx}[/tex]

I divided the polynomails and got:

You can write the denominator as [itex](x+1)^2 + 1[/itex]. Thats one way out.

You may consider trying a u substition. It may turn up producing something that looks familiar.

[tex]\int{\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x+2}dx}[/tex]

There is actually a simple way of integrating this expression. Try differentiating the denominator. What do you observe?

There is actually a simple way of integrating this expression. Try differentiating the denominator. What do you observe?

Just change the denominator to (x+1)^2+1,

x+1=tan@

dx=sec^2 @ d@

You can then integrate

tan@sec^2@/(tan^2 @ +1) d@ which becomes

tan@sec^2@/sec^2 @ d@

thus you're left to integrate tan@ d@

I may have messed up on some trig identities here, it's been a while since I've worked with them.

I would recommend pizzasky's thoughts / process. Think about this integral;

[tex]\int\frac{f ' (x)}{f(x)} \;dx[/tex]

~H

Edit: Thank you Gokul, unfortunatly that is a mistake I make often, infact I made it today in a mock exam but I'm lucky they don't penalise it in Physics (they did in my maths exam :frown: )

Last edited:
GCT, it can be done your way, but the observation pointed out by pizzasky makes the computation trivial (you have the answer in a single step).

Edit : Didn't read Hoot's post when I wrote this.

Last edited:
silly me, failed to catch on to that.

Ah, I see. Separating the second integral isn't needed because I can do it with substitution. Thank you.

1. What is the process for integrating polynomials?

The process for integrating polynomials involves breaking the polynomial into individual terms, finding the integral of each term, and then combining the integrals to find the overall integral of the polynomial.

2. How do I solve for unknown terms in an integrated polynomial?

To solve for unknown terms in an integrated polynomial, you can use algebraic manipulation and solve for the unknown term using the given information and equations.

3. Can all polynomials be integrated and solved for unknown terms?

No, not all polynomials can be integrated and solved for unknown terms. Some polynomials may have terms that cannot be integrated or solved for using traditional methods.

4. Are there any special rules or techniques for integrating polynomials?

Yes, there are special rules and techniques for integrating polynomials, such as the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts.

5. Is it possible to solve for an unknown term without integrating the entire polynomial?

Yes, it is possible to solve for an unknown term without integrating the entire polynomial by using known values and equations to isolate and solve for the unknown term.