Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to integrate this?

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    n
    ∫2n-tdt

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been wondering about the correct way to deal with this type of integral for quite a long time. To me, the above integral looks like something of the form:
    n
    ∫f(n,t)dt
    n appears in the integrand AND in the limits of integration, how can I integrate in this case?

I am just wondering whether n can be treated as a "constant" in the above integral, i.e. can I treat 2^n as a constant and pull the 2^n OUT of the integral and evaluate
    n
    ∫2-tdt ?

Thank you for explaining!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the n is a constant in this case.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

First, 2n-t= 2n 2-t.

Second, the derivative of 2t is (ln 2)2t so the anti-derivative is 2t/ln(2).

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    So even though "n" appears in the integrand and also appears in the limits of integration, we can still treat the "n" in the integrand as a constant and use the property ∫cf(t)dt=c∫f(t)dt ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

If you integrating with respect to t, you don't have to worry about anything else unless n is a function of t, which it is not stated to be.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook