1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate this?

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been wondering about the correct way to deal with this type of integral for quite a long time. To me, the above integral looks like something of the form:
    n appears in the integrand AND in the limits of integration, how can I integrate in this case?

I am just wondering whether n can be treated as a "constant" in the above integral, i.e. can I treat 2^n as a constant and pull the 2^n OUT of the integral and evaluate
    ∫2-tdt ?

Thank you for explaining!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the n is a constant in this case.
  4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, 2n-t= 2n 2-t.

Second, the derivative of 2t is (ln 2)2t so the anti-derivative is 2t/ln(2).
  5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    So even though "n" appears in the integrand and also appears in the limits of integration, we can still treat the "n" in the integrand as a constant and use the property ∫cf(t)dt=c∫f(t)dt ?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

If you integrating with respect to t, you don't have to worry about anything else unless n is a function of t, which it is not stated to be.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?