1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate y = ln(x)

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    this is an honest question. i have attempted this but i didnt know how to do this. tomorrow is my exam and i realised that there was no where of finding the integration of y=lnx. everytime i ask tis question, people will tell be 1/x but that is the derivative, i am after the integral

so is there an integral of ln x?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you learned about integrating by parts?
  4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    no, does that go into maths c?
    this is only a maths b class
    does this mean, there is no simple way of doing this?
  5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    [tex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x + x [/tex] i think, but im not sober. its done by integration by parts which looks something like this

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]
  6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

It should be [itex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x - x = x(\ln x - 1) [/itex]
  7. Aug 28, 2005 #6
    Yeh, int by parts needs two functions so you have ln(x) and 1. Make u=ln(x) and dv=1, then follow whozums equation and you'll get what TD wrote! +c of course
  8. Aug 28, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

The other way is to make the obvious substitution [itex]x = e^u[/tex], then integrate by parts.
  9. Aug 28, 2005 #8

Homework Helper

And indeed you can use the same method to find the integral of any function for which the inverse function has a simple integral.

Let's say you know that [tex]\int f(x)dx = g(x) + c[/tex]. You want to find [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx[/tex] where the exponent denotes the inverse function.

Substitute [tex]x = f(u)[/tex].

You get [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx = \int uf'(u)du = uf(u) - \int f(u)du = uf(u) - g(u) + c = xf^{-1}(x) - g(f^{-1}(x)) + c[/tex]

You can verify that works by trying out [tex]f^{-1}(x) = \ln x[/tex] in the result.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?