Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to integrate y = ln(x)

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    this is an honest question. i have attempted this but i didnt know how to do this. tomorrow is my exam and i realised that there was no where of finding the integration of y=lnx. everytime i ask tis question, people will tell be 1/x but that is the derivative, i am after the integral

so is there an integral of ln x?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you learned about integrating by parts?

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    no, does that go into maths c?
    this is only a maths b class
    does this mean, there is no simple way of doing this?

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    [tex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x + x [/tex] i think, but im not sober. its done by integration by parts which looks something like this

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

TD

Homework Helper

It should be [itex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x - x = x(\ln x - 1) [/itex]

7. Aug 28, 2005 #6
    Yeh, int by parts needs two functions so you have ln(x) and 1. Make u=ln(x) and dv=1, then follow whozums equation and you'll get what TD wrote! +c of course

8. Aug 28, 2005 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The other way is to make the obvious substitution [itex]x = e^u[/tex], then integrate by parts.

9. Aug 28, 2005 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

And indeed you can use the same method to find the integral of any function for which the inverse function has a simple integral.

Let's say you know that [tex]\int f(x)dx = g(x) + c[/tex]. You want to find [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx[/tex] where the exponent denotes the inverse function.

Substitute [tex]x = f(u)[/tex].

You get [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx = \int uf'(u)du = uf(u) - \int f(u)du = uf(u) - g(u) + c = xf^{-1}(x) - g(f^{-1}(x)) + c[/tex]

You can verify that works by trying out [tex]f^{-1}(x) = \ln x[/tex] in the result.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook