How do I find the integral of ln x?

• Thread starter lsim16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, there are two ways to find the integral of ln x: by using integration by parts or by making the substitution x = e^u and using the inverse function method. Both methods involve breaking down the function into smaller parts and using known integrals to find the solution.
lsim16
this is an honest question. i have attempted this but i didnt know how to do this. tomorrow is my exam and i realized that there was no where of finding the integration of y=lnx. everytime i ask tis question, people will tell be 1/x but that is the derivative, i am after the integral

so is there an integral of ln x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about integrating by parts?

no, does that go into maths c?
this is only a maths b class
does this mean, there is no simple way of doing this?

[tex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x + x [/tex] i think, but I am not sober. its done by integration by parts which looks something like this

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

whozum said:
[tex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x + x [/tex] i think, but I am not sober. its done by integration by parts which looks something like this

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]
It should be [itex] \int ln x dx = x \ln x - x = x(\ln x - 1) [/itex]

Yeh, int by parts needs two functions so you have ln(x) and 1. Make u=ln(x) and dv=1, then follow whozums equation and you'll get what TD wrote! +c of course

The other way is to make the obvious substitution [itex]x = e^u[/tex], then integrate by parts.

And indeed you can use the same method to find the integral of any function for which the inverse function has a simple integral.

Let's say you know that [tex]\int f(x)dx = g(x) + c[/tex]. You want to find [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx[/tex] where the exponent denotes the inverse function.

Substitute [tex]x = f(u)[/tex].

You get [tex]\int f^{-1}(x)dx = \int uf'(u)du = uf(u) - \int f(u)du = uf(u) - g(u) + c = xf^{-1}(x) - g(f^{-1}(x)) + c[/tex]

You can verify that works by trying out [tex]f^{-1}(x) = \ln x[/tex] in the result.

1. How do I integrate y = ln(x)?

To integrate y = ln(x), you can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. Alternatively, you can use the fact that ln(x) is the inverse of e^x and use the inverse function rule to integrate.

2. What is the general formula for integrating ln(x)?

The general formula for integrating ln(x) is ∫ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. Can I use u-substitution to integrate ln(x)?

Yes, you can use u-substitution to integrate ln(x). Let u = ln(x), then du/dx = 1/x and dx = x du. Substituting into the integral, we get ∫ln(x) dx = ∫u x du = x u - ∫x du = x ln(x) - ∫1 dx = x ln(x) - x + C.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating ln(x)?

Yes, when integrating ln(x), you need to be careful when the limits of integration include 0 or a negative number. In these cases, you will need to use the absolute value of x to avoid undefined values.

5. Can I use integration by parts to integrate ln(x)?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to integrate ln(x). Let u = ln(x) and dv = dx, then du/dx = 1/x and v = x. Substituting into the integration by parts formula, we get ∫ln(x) dx = x ln(x) - ∫x (1/x) dx = x ln(x) - ∫1 dx = x ln(x) - x + C.