How to invert this 2x2 Matrix?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ends
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: Multiply things that are alike. I think of each term as containing a regular number, an "e" expression and a trig term. So $(-2e^{2t}\sin(4t))*(2e^{4t}\sin(4t))=-4e^{6t}\sin^2(4t)$. So there's your $ad$. Try $bc$ and then try combining these two to simplify them somehow.Thanks guys...it simplified nicely, really appreciated the help, cheers.
ends
(-2e^2t)(sin(4t)) , (-2e^4t)(cos(4t))

(-2e^2t)(cos(4t)) , (2e^4t)(sin(4t))

Please and Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have tried? Our helpers will be better able to provide you with relevant help if they can see where you are stuck and/or where you may be making mistakes.

MarkFL said:
Can you show us what you have tried? Our helpers will be better able to provide you with relevant help if they can see where you are stuck and/or where you may be making mistakes.

So since it's a 2x2 matrix, it's easier to use the equation A(INVERSE) = (1/ad-bc)(d , -b
-c , a)

I get stuck here, I don't really know how to apply this formula when it's in a more complex form like this.

ends said:
So since it's a 2x2 matrix, it's easier to use the equation A(INVERSE) = (1/ad-bc)(d , -b
-c , a)

I get stuck here, I don't really know how to apply this formula when it's in a more complex form like this.

Hi ends!

I don't see why that formula wouldn't work here. Try calculating $ad$ and $bc$ first. What is $(-2e^{2t}\sin(4t))*(2e^{4t}\sin(4t))$ for example?

Jameson said:
Hi ends!

I don't see why that formula wouldn't work here. Try calculating $ad$ and $bc$ first. What is $(-2e^{2t}\sin(4t))*(2e^{4t}\sin(4t))$ for example?

Thank you, but can you equate this one for me so I have a general idea of how to multiply these two large terms? I'm not entirely sure how to go about it, and since it's my last chance to submit it online, I don't want to mess it up.

ends said:
Thank you, but can you equate this one for me so I have a general idea of how to multiply these two large terms? I'm not entirely sure how to go about it, and since it's my last chance to submit it online, I don't want to mess it up.

Multiply things that are alike. I think of each term as containing a regular number, an "e" expression and a trig term. So $(-2e^{2t}\sin(4t))*(2e^{4t}\sin(4t))=-4e^{6t}\sin^2(4t)$. So there's your $ad$. Try $bc$ and then try combining these two to simplify them somehow.

Thanks guys...it simplified nicely, really appreciated the help, cheers.

1. How do I find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix, first calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, swap the positions of the elements on the main diagonal (top left and bottom right) and change the signs of the elements on the off-diagonal (top right and bottom left). Finally, divide each element by the determinant.

2. What is the formula for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

The formula for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix is:
[ a b ]-1 = 1/det(A) * [ d -b ]
[ c d ] [ -c a ]

3. Can any 2x2 matrix be inverted?

No, not all 2x2 matrices are invertible. A matrix is only invertible if its determinant is not equal to 0. If the determinant is 0, the matrix is said to be singular and cannot be inverted.

4. What is the purpose of inverting a 2x2 matrix?

Inverting a 2x2 matrix allows you to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations that are easier to do with an inverted matrix. It also has applications in computer graphics, engineering, and other fields of science.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the "shortcut method" or "cross-multiplying method" which can be used to find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix. This involves swapping the positions of the elements on the main diagonal and changing the signs of the elements on the off-diagonal, then dividing each element by the determinant. This method is faster and easier to use than the traditional formula.