How to keep yourself motivated?

• Thread starter mathsciguy
  • Start date
In summary: It sounds really hard and I don't think I have what it takes.In summary, it seems like it would be hard to do a good job in graduate school if you don't have a strong motivation to do so.
mathsciguy
I actually came from another department in my college before doing physics and I know pretty well that physics requires more work than my previous major. Now, how does one keep himself motivated? Though, I can say that I'm pretty much motivated in doing science and mathematics but there would be days that I'd accomplish pretty much nothing. Whilst feeling really tired during week ends I'd end up sleeping too much or play video games (I actually used to be a 'gamer'). So yeah, it's all in the thread title, how do you guys manage to do your stuff with consistency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every time I want to be lazy, I Just think about Stephen Hawking. How does he work with his bad health condition? Comparing to him, we are very lucky. So I'll feel shame if I lose valuable time on games.

I think the best way to motivate youself is to get some friends who like the science as you. You can study together and compete each other. Of course, you can find some one from the internet. If you can't arrange well your time, perhaps just because you don't have enough pressure.

What kept me going was knowing how much money my degree was costing (35000+ quid in all), so I decided I was going to get my money's worth. People think that because it's a student loan it's just like toy money, but if they had to earn it before they spent it on university I bet they would take things more seriously.

Also, at my moments of laziness, I would remind myself how hard I had grafted to get myself to that stage in my education, so there was no way I was going to let myself bugger it up now. It's important to take breaks from work though, or you just get burnt out (which is different from just being lazy). Also when faced with a choice between doing some work or procrastinating, I'd remind myself how empty the procrastination was, how once I was finished with whatever inane activity it was, I would have achieved nothing.

Last edited:
If you plan on going to graduate school, remember that the better you do, the more money you can get to go to grad school! The scholarships you see as an undergrad are nothing compared to fellowships for graduate students (some are $30-$50k per year when you add up what a fellowship might pay for). Plus they typically include work at national labs which is great for your education and career.

listening to really good people speak on my subject is motivating to me, like the ones at the international mathematicians union meeting.

Pengwuino said:
If you plan on going to graduate school, remember that the better you do, the more money you can get to go to grad school! The scholarships you see as an undergrad are nothing compared to fellowships for graduate students (some are $30-$50k per year when you add up what a fellowship might pay for). Plus they typically include work at national labs which is great for your education and career.

Thanks for posting everyone it's all good and informational, this one though caught my attention. I'm attending a state university at the moment so my tuition's subsidized by the government; I'd like to think that I might be wasting the people's money by bumming out. I'm also planning to attend graduate school, and I have no idea as to how much it would cost me if I don't apply to scholarships, so yeah that might be another motivation for me to do good in my undergrad.

mathsciguy said:
Thanks for posting everyone it's all good and informational, this one though caught my attention. I'm attending a state university at the moment so my tuition's subsidized by the government; I'd like to think that I might be wasting the people's money by bumming out. I'm also planning to attend graduate school, and I have no idea as to how much it would cost me if I don't apply to scholarships, so yeah that might be another motivation for me to do good in my undergrad.

To be fair, with physics and a few other majors, your phd work is typically subsidized at the very least with a teaching assistant position that pays your tuition and gives you enough to survive on. Of course, fellowships have a lot more bonuses than just them paying your tuition and giving you a good deal of money beyond that.

Pengwuino said:
To be fair, with physics and a few other majors, your phd work is typically subsidized at the very least with a teaching assistant position that pays your tuition and gives you enough to survive on. Of course, fellowships have a lot more bonuses than just them paying your tuition and giving you a good deal of money beyond that.

I don't know if I can TA if I go with different major in grad school. While I'm seriously studying physics right now, I might go for another major in graduate school so I'm not sure how this might turn out.

What are some effective ways to stay motivated?

One effective way to stay motivated is to set clear and achievable goals for yourself. This gives you something to work towards and provides a sense of accomplishment when you reach them. Another way is to surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can help encourage and motivate you. Additionally, keeping a positive mindset and practicing self-care can also help keep you motivated.

How can I maintain my motivation over a long period of time?

To maintain motivation over a long period of time, it is important to regularly reassess your goals and make any necessary adjustments. This can help prevent burnout and keep you focused on your objectives. It can also be helpful to track your progress and celebrate small victories along the way to keep yourself motivated.

What should I do if I feel demotivated?

If you are feeling demotivated, it's important to take a step back and assess the root cause. Sometimes, a change in routine or environment can help reignite motivation. Other times, it may be helpful to talk to a friend or mentor for support and guidance. It's also important to practice self-compassion and not be too hard on yourself during periods of low motivation.

How can I motivate myself when facing a difficult task?

One effective way to motivate yourself when facing a difficult task is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can make the task feel less daunting and help you feel a sense of progress as you complete each step. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the end goal and the benefits of completing the task. Seeking support and advice from others can also provide motivation and help you approach the task from a different perspective.

What role does self-discipline play in staying motivated?

Self-discipline plays a crucial role in staying motivated. It involves setting clear boundaries and sticking to them, even when faced with distractions or challenges. This can involve creating a schedule, setting deadlines, and holding yourself accountable for your actions. Self-discipline helps you stay focused on your goals and ensures that you are consistently taking steps towards achieving them.