How to learn about electrochemistry/other?

• Thread starter Modest
  • Start date
In summary: Another great way to learn is through hands-on experiments and projects. You can find tutorials and instructions for building things like electric motors and batteries online, and this can help you gain practical knowledge and skills. It's important to not get too caught up in hypothetical designs and instead focus on building a strong understanding of the fundamentals. With dedication and self-directed learning, you can make a valuable contribution to the field of engineering. In summary, if you are interested in electrical engineering and physics, there are many resources available to help you learn, including courses, online resources, and books. It's important to focus on building a strong foundation of knowledge and skills before diving into hypothetical designs and projects. With dedication and self-directed learning, you can make a valuable contribution
Modest
Hey everyone, so I'm 17, a junior in high school. I've always been interested in engineering and how things work, but this year I've become intrigued by electrical engineering, electromagnetism, and other physics phenomena. I've also started becoming really kind of fascinated by math, because now that I'm nearing calculus you can really see how things come together and the unity of it all. I really like thinking about things like how infinity works and interacts with other values, the special properties of what I call 'effects' versus integers (I don't know the technical term, but things like e and pi and wau and stuff). Getting a little off topic, but yeah. Anyways, the main things I'm interested in are energy production (mostly photovoltaics), energy storage (modern batteries piss me off), and electric motors. I also love learning about cool scientific quirks like the piezoelectric effect and the special properties of resonance and a lot of stuff that Tesla worked with. So, I really really want to start learning stuff with this, and I want to learn practical things too so I can go out and build something once in a while. Problem is, I always try to think of things that are beyond my understanding. I try to come up with better designs for motors and batteries and other stuff, but it's all pointless and hopelessly hypothetical because I don't know anything about the complex parts of physics that it all depends on. So my question is, how do I learn all these things on my own? Does anyone know of a good collection of books I can read that will bring me up to the level of understanding where I can start to run experiments and do real things? I just think it's a waste that I have the ability to make a contribution to the world, however small that may be, but I can't find the information I need to do that.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
you can offer!One of the best ways to learn about electrical engineering, electromagnetism, and other physics phenomena is to take a course at a local college. You don't need to be enrolled in a degree program to take courses, so even if you are still in high school you can get a head start on learning these topics. You can also find some great online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare. Additionally, there are a lot of great books out there, such as The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell, and Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths. These books will provide a solid foundation for you to build upon as you learn more advanced topics.

1. How does electrochemistry work?

Electrochemistry is the study of chemical processes that involve the transfer of electrons. It involves the use of electricity to drive chemical reactions or the production of electricity as a result of a chemical reaction. This field of science helps us understand how batteries, fuel cells, and corrosion work.

2. What are the key concepts in electrochemistry?

The key concepts in electrochemistry include redox reactions, electrolysis, electrochemical cells, and electrode potentials. Redox reactions involve the transfer of electrons between two species, while electrolysis involves using an electric current to drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction. Electrochemical cells consist of two half-cells, each with an electrode and an electrolyte, and they generate electricity through redox reactions. Electrode potentials measure the tendency of an electrode to gain or lose electrons, which can determine the direction of electron flow in a cell.

3. How can I learn about electrochemistry?

There are various ways to learn about electrochemistry, including taking a course or attending workshops, reading textbooks or scientific journals, and conducting experiments. You can also watch online lectures or tutorials, join online forums or discussion groups, and participate in hands-on activities. It is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry and physics before delving into electrochemistry. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also aid in understanding this complex subject.

4. What are some real-world applications of electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the production of batteries and fuel cells, which power various devices such as smartphones and electric cars. It is also used in electroplating, where a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a surface for decorative or protective purposes. Electrochemistry is also essential for understanding and preventing corrosion in metal structures and machinery.

5. What are the future prospects of electrochemistry?

The field of electrochemistry is constantly evolving and has promising future prospects. It plays a crucial role in the development of renewable energy sources, such as solar cells and hydrogen fuel cells, which can help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. It also has applications in wastewater treatment, pharmaceuticals, and nanotechnology. With ongoing research and advancements in technology, electrochemistry will continue to contribute to various industries and have a significant impact on our daily lives.