Learn Chemistry: Tips for Understanding Basic Concepts

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of teaching oneself basic chemistry for a thermodynamics course. The speaker is struggling to understand the subject as it seems like a list of arbitrary rules and lacks the logical structure of math or physics. The other person suggests that understanding chemistry depends on the level at which it is being learned and that general chemistry requires a lot of memorization. They also mention the importance of practicing with concept questions and getting a feel for the subject before being able to deduce information.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
As a requirement for a thermodynamics course I have to teach myself basic chemistry. I borrowed a book and thought it would be easy but after getting half way into the book I realized that I wasn't really understanding anything. The problem is that it just looks like an arbitrary list of rules together with some intuition - not the sound logic that you see in math or physics classes. I just couldn't find any basic rules that could be used to deduce the other rules. How can I understand chemistry? Or is it really just rote memory?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the level at which you wish to learn chemistry...

General chemistry is what you're doing I am guessing. Its a bunch of established rules so you'd definitely need a lot of memory. It kind of differs from math because you start with all the results, and prove them in upper years. Kind of like building a house from roof to bottom. Once you get a feel for chem you can start deducing a lot of stuff, like properties of atoms by using the periodic table. Do lots of concept questions. Chem isn't that hard, but it takes a while to let the language sink in.

1. What are some tips for understanding basic chemistry concepts?

1. Start by building a strong foundation: Make sure you have a good grasp of the fundamental concepts before moving on to more complex topics.

2. Practice, practice, practice: The best way to understand chemistry is through hands-on experimentation and problem-solving. Use practice problems and lab activities to reinforce your understanding.

3. Use visual aids: Chemistry involves a lot of abstract concepts, so using diagrams, illustrations, and models can help you visualize and understand them better.

4. Make connections: Chemistry is all about how different elements interact with each other. Try to relate new concepts to ones you already understand to make connections and deepen your understanding.

5. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources when you're struggling to understand a concept. Sometimes a different perspective can make all the difference.

2. Is it important to memorize chemical formulas and equations?

While memorization can be helpful, it's more important to understand the principles and concepts behind chemical formulas and equations. Once you understand the underlying patterns and relationships, you can derive formulas and equations as needed.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

1. Understand the question: Before attempting to solve a problem, make sure you fully understand what is being asked.

2. Identify known and unknown information: Break down the problem into its components and identify what information you already have and what you need to find.

3. Use a systematic approach: Develop a step-by-step plan to solve the problem, and follow it carefully.

4. Practice regularly: The more you practice solving problems, the more comfortable and efficient you will become.

5. Review your mistakes: When you make a mistake, take the time to understand why and learn from it.

4. How can I make learning chemistry more enjoyable?

1. Find real-world applications: Chemistry is all around us, so try to make connections between what you're learning and its applications in everyday life.

2. Conduct experiments: Hands-on experiments can make learning chemistry more engaging and help you understand concepts better.

3. Join a study group: Collaborating with others can make learning more fun and interactive.

4. Use online resources: There are many interactive and educational websites, videos, and apps that can make learning chemistry more enjoyable.

5. Make it a game: Turn studying into a game by creating flashcards, quizzes, or other activities to test your knowledge.

5. What are some common mistakes students make when learning chemistry?

1. Not building a strong foundation: Trying to understand advanced concepts without a solid understanding of the basics can lead to confusion and mistakes.

2. Not practicing enough: Chemistry requires practice to truly understand and retain concepts. Skipping practice problems and labs can hinder your learning.

3. Not seeking help when needed: Many students are afraid to ask for help when they don't understand something, but it's important to seek clarification to avoid making mistakes.

4. Not paying attention to details: Chemistry involves precise measurements and calculations, so overlooking small details can lead to incorrect results.

5. Memorizing instead of understanding: Relying solely on memorization can be problematic in chemistry. It's important to focus on understanding the underlying concepts to truly grasp the subject.