1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to learn chemistry

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1

Gold Member

As a requirement for a thermodynamics course I have to teach myself basic chemistry. I borrowed a book and thought it would be easy but after getting half way into the book I realized that I wasn't really understanding anything. The problem is that it just looks like an arbitrary list of rules together with some intuition - not the sound logic that you see in math or physics classes. I just couldn't find any basic rules that could be used to deduce the other rules. How can I understand chemistry? Or is it really just rote memory?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2
    Depends on the level at which you wish to learn chemistry...
  4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    General chemistry is what you're doing Im guessing. Its a bunch of established rules so you'd definately need a lot of memory. It kind of differs from math because you start with all the results, and prove them in upper years. Kind of like building a house from roof to bottom. Once you get a feel for chem you can start deducing a lot of stuff, like properties of atoms by using the periodic table. Do lots of concept questions. Chem isn't that hard, but it takes a while to let the language sink in.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?