Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Learn Math and Do Proofs

1. Aug 27, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm a budding theoretical physicist and mathematician, all throughout my education I've been taught about mathematical objects, relation between objects, Proofs, etc. Never have I been taught HOW to actually learn math.

I've put together a website with all the lessons on how to learn math your's truly has learned the hard way hopefully it can help someone learn the easy way.

How to Learn Math

Please visit my website and if you have any suggestions feel free to sign my guestbook. If you find the website useful please pass it on to someone else

Thank You

John G.

P.S. Be on the lookout I'm working a website with tips on how to increase your IQ. Web moderator please leave this posting up I've only posted it here and to college level help.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very well, then, I will post the same response here that I did in "College Homework Help.

One of the 'tips' you give is: "If you are low on cash simply go to your college or public library find a good book, and copy the entire book. Kinko’s offers 8 cents per page and for a regular 200-page book it will only be around $16; you have to copy it yourself."

Right- and if they don't have the $16 would you suggest they just steal the book?
    It is illegal to copy a book without the publisher's permission and I don't think they are going to give permission to copy an entire book just so you won't have to pay for it!
  4. Aug 27, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This looks like a good method and I'm sure anyone who applies it would get results.... at the expense of any social life and sleep!

I'm starting school soon and I'll have 3 math classes. Although I have always had a certain ease with mathematics (at least compared to my fellow unmotivated student companinons) I plan on using your method (except the example memorizing madness). I'll tell you how it worked out for me.
  5. Aug 28, 2004 #4
    Book Copying

For starters the Library paid for the book hence the author and publishers got paid as well. You can't accuse a person of stealing otherwise it would be stealing for me to borrow my friends math book for a semester, or borrow a library book for 2 weeks at a time.

Second Mr. Ivy you've got to read the fine print, I've taken the liberty of looking up Section 107 of the 1976 Copyright Act and here is what is says:

Sec. 107. - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work;

the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors

1) As long as the student copies the book for his/her education and doesn't sell the copy(ies), he/she will conform to part 1.

2) Parts of math books are copied all the time hence you have precedence for part 2.

3) The student will probably not go over every single homework problem, hence a big chunk of the book is unused, hence it will probably conform to part 3 (its really subjective)

4) The number of students willing to spend 2 hrs out of their day to copy an entire book is small the market impact is minimal, so part 4 is taken care of.

Check it out for yourself

Section 107 Copyright Law

I am going to remove that part(even though technically its legal), because it might result in the removal of my webpage which will be a disservice to everyone I want to help.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  6. Aug 28, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see any reason to have two duplicate threads.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?