Lock Gears Without Motor Power: Tips & Tricks

In summary, worm gear can replace the spur gear pair in a mechanism to prevent the plate from rotating when the motor is off.
andrewtirtawijaya
SO, here is the case guys.
I have a mechanism to turn plate by a motor. Both motor and plate was connected through 2 spur gears.

But here is the problem,
when wind strike the plate, the plate start to rotate even without the power of the motor. What is the best way so i can prevent the plate to rotate when the motor in off condition? Is there any device to autolock the gear when the motor is off?

Thanks for the answer.. Have a good day :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this is usually done with a brake built into the motor.

You can replace the spur gear pair with a worm gear pair that will not back drive.

Some ideas...

Try shorting out the motor rather than just turning it off.

Worm gear drive.

If on a budget perhaps try the PTO/blade clutch from an old ride on mower as they usually have a blade brake.

CWatters said:

x2

Assuming speed and/or power dissipation are not a concern, shorting the pins on the motor together when power is disconnected will cause it to "electrically brake." This would be easily implemented with an appropriate relay or switch.

Some more reading here: http://electricalengineeringtutorials.com/dc-motor-braking-methods/

jerromyjon said:
I think this is usually done with a brake built into the motor.
Thanks dude for ur suggestion. I've decided to use worm gear at my mechanism ^^

Dr.D said:
You can replace the spur gear pair with a worm gear pair that will not back drive.
Thanks a lot dude. With ur help I can realize my work. May God bless u :)

Mech_Engineer said:
x2

Assuming speed and/or power dissipation are not a concern, shorting the pins on the motor together when power is disconnected will cause it to "electrically brake." This would be easily implemented with an appropriate relay or switch.

Some more reading here: http://electricalengineeringtutorials.com/dc-motor-braking-methods/
Seems like a good idea, but I've decided to use worm gear at my mechanism. I will try to learn ur advise, maybe i'll need it in the future. Thanks :)

CWatters said:
Some ideas...

Worm gear drive.

If on a budget perhaps try the PTO/blade clutch from an old ride on mower as they usually have a blade brake.
Your idea sounds great. But I've little knowledge on motor and electrical things. I'll try to learn it in the future. But thanks a lot for ur advice. For now I will use worm gear at my mechanism. Thanks a lot dude :)

1. How can I lock gears without motor power?

One way to lock gears without motor power is by using a locking mechanism, such as a ratchet or locking pin, to prevent the gears from moving. Another way is by adjusting the gear teeth to create a tight fit, which will prevent them from slipping or rotating.

2. Are there any tips for keeping gears locked without motor power?

One tip is to ensure that the gears are properly aligned and meshed together. This will prevent any unnecessary movement and keep the gears locked in place. Additionally, using a lubricant on the gear teeth can help create a tighter fit and reduce friction, which can cause the gears to slip.

3. Can I lock gears without using any additional tools or components?

Yes, it is possible to lock gears without using any additional tools or components. One method is by using a friction lock, where the gears are held in place by the friction created between their surfaces. Another method is by using a wedging technique, where a wedge is inserted between the gears to prevent them from moving.

4. Will locking gears without motor power damage the gears?

No, if done correctly, locking gears without motor power should not damage the gears. However, it is important to ensure that the gears are properly aligned and that there is not too much force being applied, as this can cause the gears to wear down over time.

5. Are there any other considerations when locking gears without motor power?

One consideration is the type of gears being used. Some gears, such as bevel gears, may require a different locking mechanism than others. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the gears to ensure that they are still properly locked and functioning correctly.