1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a hologram?

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    Can anyone tell me,or send me a link to a paper on holograms,how to make them and if possible their equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 19, 2014 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

ghost313,

Try this:
    From Scientific American Magazine, The Amateur Scientist:
    “How to Ensure a Good Hologram and How to Build an Unusual Kind of Barometer”

by C. L. Stong
    July, 1971

http://jesseenterprises.net/amsci/1971/07/1971-07-fs.html

Cheers, Bobbywhy

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4
  6. Aug 20, 2014 #5
    Did you know you can hand-make crude holograms by manually cutting interference fringes into plastic or metal?

Ha. beat me to it

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. Aug 20, 2014 #6
    Thank you all for your kind answears :)

8. Aug 20, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is an awful lot harder to produce a holographic image of an actual object. You need a good light source, a very stable stage with good mirrors and also a good, flat photographic plate. The early years of optical holography involved a lot of learning about improving techniques. It's almost a 'turn the handle' job now.

9. Aug 20, 2014 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

10. Aug 20, 2014 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is impressive. Someone else has done all the hard work and technology, then. Would you really say that it's a trivial problem to do it - starting from scratch? I guess you will remember how limited the early holograms were. Is the solid state laser less susceptible to vibrations than the gas lasers they used way back? In the video they keep mentioning vibrations. What precautions do you take in the lab, to ensure good images? IS it really as straightforward as the advertising video claims?
    The developer free film makes life a lot easier, of course.

11. Aug 21, 2014 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It really is as simple as the advertising claims- no need for heavy stabilized tables, etc. Each student group's initial hologram was suboptimal, but every group produced good-quality holograms using a variety of objects- one group even recorded multiple holograms on a single plate to demonstrate the principle of holographic memory.

I made a hologram of a computer chip:

_DSC5257_zpsad709bd3.jpg

12. Aug 21, 2014 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember that, in the past, there were serious problems in producing decent holograms and an expensive setup was required. Do you know what changed?

13. Aug 25, 2014 #12

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Nope. Smarter engineers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook