How to Start Making a New Physics Theory?

• Thread starter Urvabara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of developing a new physics theory, including researching existing theories, developing equations, and learning from previous masters in the field. The conversation also touches on the importance of distinguishing between real science and pseudoscience, and the difficulty of mastering all areas of physics. Book recommendations for further learning are also mentioned.
Urvabara
Hi!

How to make a new physics theory? I mean mathematically valid theory that says something about physics. It could be a toy theory/model, of course (like the bosonic string theory). I just want to know "how to get started". Yes, I know; that was a very vague question...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One would research the background and state of the art, much as one would do when inventing something, to see if such a theory has already been proposed.

Then one would develop the system of equations that describes the physics of whatever phenomenon is being addressed or described by the theory.

Learn from the masters of the art.

will learning from the masters make you a master yourself?

i think not.

edit: I am saying this cause it's not enough to learn from the masters to be able to propose a consistent and coherent mathematical model, usually you need to read a lot in the field and sometimes also only tweaking known parameters may do the job, but to do so you ofcourse need to read a lot about the field and also read on other fields and look for potetnial connections between them.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks!

How did Einstein invent his theories of relativity?
How did Newton invent the Newton laws?
How did Nordström invent his theory of gravitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordström's_theory_of_gravitation)?
How did Milgrom invent the Modified Newtonian dynamics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOND)?
etc, etc...

Should one just try to read and understand the original publications, e.g. Einstein's original publication of the special relativity? Or should one just read the modern physics books to understand the concepts? Which one is the better way to learn "inventiveness"?

Are there any tips and tricks to learn "inventiveness"? How do I know when I have a real scientific theory and not just a pseudoscientific junk? They say that even string theory is pseudoscience. How about the Heim theory?

I want to learn to distinguish real science from pseudoscience.

I think you have to analyze different theories and judge if they're logical or not. If you find any theories which you don't believe in, try finding out yourself how it could be, then try to prove it.

For me science is like a computer program. I liked dos, then it changed... The new program apparently does the same but more. A new theory would have to account for all of the previous known phenomenon and then go even further. The only way to do this is to actually consider the explained phenomenon and the unexplained phenomenon, and then construct a theory that accounts for both. Not an easy task to say the least. Then again, how much has science changed in the last 100 or so years?...

Last edited:
Master of science in physics, and not done QM, QFT, GR and/or elementary partcile phyiscs? :O

String theory is graduate course here in sweden, but you can do diploma work in it. My friend does now diploma work in simulating Higgs boson decays in theoretical particle physics. So if you really want to go deep into something, doing diploma work then PhD are perhaps the best, then you get personal help from teachers and so on. But I don't know how you have it at your university, so best is maybe to ask your teachers overthere.

Good luck =)

malawi_glenn said:
Master of science in physics, and not done QM, QFT, GR and/or elementary partcile phyiscs? :O

Yes, I have. "Quantum Mechanics I" and "Particle Physics". I am right now taking "Quantum Mechanics II". :)

But, but. I want to learn everything. LOL.

malawi_glenn said:
String theory is graduate course here in sweden, but you can do diploma work in it. My friend does now diploma work in simulating Higgs boson decays in theoretical particle physics. So if you really want to go deep into something, doing diploma work then PhD are perhaps the best, then you get personal help from teachers and so on. But I don't know how you have it at your university, so best is maybe to ask your teachers overthere.

Ok. Is diploma work = Licentiate Thesis?

malawi_glenn said:
Good luck =)
Thanks!

Last edited:
diploma work here = the final thing you do your semester as undergraduate.

knowing everything is impossible i think..but its very good aim to have atleast knowledge corresponding to first course at graduate level (i.e phd course) in stuff =)

I personally enjoy subatomic physics a lot, and nuclear astrophysics. But I must choose one thing to be very very good at, to do my PhD in. You can't really master everything as they did in the old days, cos now there is so much in each branch of physics =/ =)

1. What is the process for creating a new theory?

The process for creating a new theory involves several steps. First, you must identify a problem or question that needs to be answered. Then, you must conduct research and gather evidence to support your theory. Once you have enough evidence, you can develop a hypothesis to explain the problem or question. Next, you will test your hypothesis through experiments or observations. Finally, you will analyze your results and revise your theory based on the evidence gathered.

2. How do I come up with a unique and original theory?

Coming up with a unique and original theory requires a combination of creativity and critical thinking. Start by exploring different topics and ideas that interest you. Then, read and research extensively to find gaps or unanswered questions in existing theories. From there, you can propose new ideas or connections that could potentially lead to a new theory.

3. What skills do I need to make a new theory?

Making a new theory requires a range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and the ability to gather and analyze data. It also helps to have a strong understanding of the subject matter and the scientific method. Collaborating with other researchers or scientists can also be beneficial in developing a new theory.

4. How do I know if my theory is valid?

The validity of a theory depends on the evidence and data that support it. It should be based on sound reasoning and be able to explain and predict phenomena. Additionally, it should be testable and able to withstand scrutiny from other scientists in the field. Peer review and replication of experiments are crucial in determining the validity of a theory.

5. Can a new theory replace an existing one?

Yes, a new theory can replace an existing one if it is supported by more evidence and can better explain and predict phenomena. However, it is common for existing theories to be modified or expanded upon, rather than completely replaced. The scientific community constantly strives to improve and refine existing theories, rather than discarding them entirely.