1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a Newton Cradle

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    I want to make a Newton Cradle. Just wondering how I can reduce the loss of energy so the balls keep bumping for a long time

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) Use balls made from very hard materials . Hardened steel or Chromium plated steel are commonly used .

(2) Have precisely aligned , identical and accurately repeating suspensions for the balls .

(3) If you want it to run for really extended periods you could devise an electromechanical energiser to give the balls a kick now and then .

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    Is there anyway I can make a mechanical energizer rather than an electrical energizer? And how long do you think it will run if I don't have an energizer.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4
    Also, does the amount of balls have an effect on the cradle?

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Newton's cradles seldom run for more than a few minutes without having to be restarted .

A solenoid device and a timer would be simple enough to make . If you want to have a purely mechanical energiser then you could get some inspiration from old type clock mechanisms .

Not much to do with Newton's Cradles but quite fun :

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook