How can I keep a Newton's Cradle going for a longer time?

In summary, to reduce energy loss in a Newton Cradle and keep the balls bumping for a longer time, it is recommended to use balls made from hard materials such as hardened steel or Chromium plated steel, have precisely aligned and identical suspensions, and consider using an electromechanical energizer. If using a mechanical energizer, inspiration can be taken from old clock mechanisms. The number of balls does not significantly affect the cradle's performance. Without an energizer, the cradle may only run for a few minutes.
Michael2525
I want to make a Newton Cradle. Just wondering how I can reduce the loss of energy so the balls keep bumping for a long time

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Use balls made from very hard materials . Hardened steel or Chromium plated steel are commonly used .

(2) Have precisely aligned , identical and accurately repeating suspensions for the balls .

(3) If you want it to run for really extended periods you could devise an electromechanical energiser to give the balls a kick now and then .

Likes Michael2525
Nidum said:
(1) Use balls made from very hard materials . Hardened steel or Chromium plated steel are commonly used .

(2) Have precisely aligned , identical and accurately repeating suspensions for the balls .

(3) If you want it to run for really extended periods you could devise an electromechanical energiser to give the balls a kick now and then .
Is there anyway I can make a mechanical energizer rather than an electrical energizer? And how long do you think it will run if I don't have an energizer.

Also, does the amount of balls have an effect on the cradle?

Newton's cradles seldom run for more than a few minutes without having to be restarted .

A solenoid device and a timer would be simple enough to make . If you want to have a purely mechanical energiser then you could get some inspiration from old type clock mechanisms .

Not much to do with Newton's Cradles but quite fun :

Likes Michael2525

1. How does a Newton Cradle work?

A Newton Cradle works by demonstrating the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. When one ball on the end is pulled back and released, it transfers its energy to the next ball, causing it to swing out. This continues until the energy is transferred to the last ball and the first ball comes back down, creating a continuous swinging motion.

2. What materials are needed to make a Newton Cradle?

To make a Newton Cradle, you will need a sturdy frame, five metal balls of equal size and weight, and strong string or wire to attach the balls to the frame. You may also want to use a base to keep the frame stable.

3. How do I determine the correct distance between the balls?

The distance between the balls is important for the Newton Cradle to work properly. To determine the correct distance, measure the diameter of one ball and multiply it by four. This will give you the optimal distance between the center of each ball.

4. Can I use different types of balls for a Newton Cradle?

While metal balls are the most commonly used for a Newton Cradle, you can also use other materials such as glass, plastic, or even marbles. However, the weight and size of the balls must be equal for the principles of conservation of momentum and energy to work.

5. Is there a specific way to set up the balls for a Newton Cradle?

Yes, there is a specific way to set up the balls for a Newton Cradle to work properly. The first and fifth balls should be pulled back and released together, while the third ball is the one that should be pulled back and released to demonstrate the swinging motion. The second and fourth balls should remain stationary throughout the demonstration.