Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a Newton Cradle

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    I want to make a Newton Cradle. Just wondering how I can reduce the loss of energy so the balls keep bumping for a long time

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) Use balls made from very hard materials . Hardened steel or Chromium plated steel are commonly used .

(2) Have precisely aligned , identical and accurately repeating suspensions for the balls .

(3) If you want it to run for really extended periods you could devise an electromechanical energiser to give the balls a kick now and then .

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    Is there anyway I can make a mechanical energizer rather than an electrical energizer? And how long do you think it will run if I don't have an energizer.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4
    Also, does the amount of balls have an effect on the cradle?

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Newton's cradles seldom run for more than a few minutes without having to be restarted .

A solenoid device and a timer would be simple enough to make . If you want to have a purely mechanical energiser then you could get some inspiration from old type clock mechanisms .

Not much to do with Newton's Cradles but quite fun :

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook