Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a raincloud disappear ?

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    Hi !

I've heard about a concert, I think, where it started to rain pretty much. Then the band, had a chopper or some kind of plane to throw something on top of the clouds over the concert place, to make the clouds disappear. But I don't know what. So my question is: What can you throw on top of rainclouds to make them disappear? I've heard something about dry ice should do the trick, but can that be true?

Thank you.
    - Ylle

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You may be referring to 'cloud seeding' in which mineral crystals (e.g. AgI, silver iodide) are dropped into clouds in order to nucleate rain drops and induce preciptiation.

Perhaps dry ice was used to cool the cloud, which would have the effect of condensing the water vapor.

Here - this company does exactly the above.

Weather Modification, Inc

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As for the concert controlling its own weather, that sounds pretty far-fetched. They would be billionaires if they could stop rain on demand.

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4
    Storms are broke up here all the time by planes. China kept it from raining at the Olympics also. So yes the concert did Weather modification. It's called rain supression.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5

Borek

Russia is (or at least was in times of Soviet Union) known for keeping sky in Moscow clear during special events.

7. Aug 18, 2010 #6
    They can try to make it rain (cloud seeding) using silver iodide or dry ice. Maybe making it rain the day before an event its possible to reduce the probabilities of rain during the event. I heard that they did this for Beijing Olympiads.

8. Aug 19, 2010 #7

Borek

9. Aug 19, 2010 #8
    As for Russia, I remember reading about the attempt at snow control this winter. For some reason I had thought that it was attempted and failed. I can't find anything that said they actually tried it though. However, it does seem they have used it to prevent rain and snow in the past.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8587725.stm
    http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100114/157543348.html

10. Aug 19, 2010 #9

Borek

Early eighties will fit things I remember.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?