How to make chemistry my forte

In summary, a 10th grade student from India is seeking help with their difficulty in understanding chemistry and their lack of confidence due to a teacher who does not provide adequate support. They are looking for recommendations for a chemistry book that will not only strengthen their understanding but also increase their interest in the subject. However, it is suggested that in addition to books, a combination of physics, mathematics, practical skills, laboratory exercises, and other chemistry courses may be necessary for a comprehensive understanding of the subject. Some recommended authors for chemistry textbooks include Petrucci and possibly Mortimer, Mortinson, or Morrison.
Vatsal Goyal
Hi everyone, I am a 10th grade student studying in India( would be in 11th in 2 months)I am not very good at chemistry. I have difficulty understanding the concepts. Although I don't have any doubts, I just don't feel confident. Also, my teacher is not very good. Whenever I would ask him anything, he would say it is irrelevant and there is no need to understand it, while I want to go deep into the subject and understand it completely.

Can anyone suggest me a good chemistry book that would strengthen, encourage me to think and boost my interest in chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Books by themselves will not do what you want. What is necessary is combine the right book sequence with Physics, Mathematics, and some practical skills (like from engineering), and LABORATORY EXERCISES, properly assigned in adequately equipped lab classrooms. One more thing, is to include some Chemistry courses, along with their assigned textbooks.

Years ago, one of the good authors for General Chemistry textbooks was Petrucci; and there was another author of a good General Chemistry book whose name started with M, but I no longer remember exactly. Mortimer? Mortinson? Morrison?

Likes Vatsal Goyal

1. How can I improve my chemistry skills?

Improving your chemistry skills takes practice and dedication. Start by reviewing basic concepts and theories, then move on to more complex topics. Practice solving problems and conducting experiments to solidify your understanding. Additionally, seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to supplement your learning.

2. What are some tips for understanding chemistry?

Some tips for understanding chemistry include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids such as diagrams and models, and making connections between different topics. It is also helpful to actively engage in class lectures and discussions, ask questions, and seek clarification when needed.

3. How can I make chemistry more interesting?

One way to make chemistry more interesting is to relate it to real-world applications. This can help you see the relevance and practicality of the concepts you are learning. Additionally, try to find a personal interest or connection to the subject, and explore different areas of chemistry that may be of particular interest to you.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in chemistry?

Some common mistakes to avoid in chemistry include not paying attention to detail, not understanding the underlying concepts, and not practicing problem-solving. It is important to carefully follow instructions and double-check calculations and measurements. In addition, make sure to fully understand the theories and principles behind each topic before moving on to more complex material.

5. Is it possible to excel in chemistry without a natural talent for it?

Yes, it is possible to excel in chemistry without a natural talent for it. Like any other skill, chemistry takes practice and dedication. With hard work and a positive attitude, anyone can improve their understanding and performance in chemistry. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace, and it is okay to make mistakes as long as you continue to learn from them.