Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make coffee

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, I was recently informed that I make crappy coffee. :cry: We buy the Millstone French Roast and grind the beans, and the flavor is good, but after checking around a bit I decided that my know it all, X-hippy, artsy fartsy customer [really he's my good buddy but I know he checks in here from time to time, so just in case :tongue: ] was right; Mr. Coffee sucks. Then I discovered that deep in that strange and wonderful place, a place where angels fear to tread, the place called Tsuland, there existed a magical, mysterious thing called a French Press. So I tried it. WOW!!! :!!) Where have you been all my life?!?!?!?!

So, I am learning but decided to ask our experts. How do I make the perfect cup of coffee using a French Press. The stronger the better.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There was a show on he Food Network about that not too long ago. My mom had one at home, it was fun to use.

4. Jul 4, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is how my boss makes his coffee :

[​IMG]

http://home.columbus.rr.com/thegramilas/coffee/roaster.html
    http://home.columbus.rr.com/thegramilas/coffee/profile.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  5. Jul 4, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's STRONG coffee that a French press makes. :approve: I used to keep one in my office while doing my post-doc (they had awful coffee in the mailroom there and expected you to pay 25 cents/cup for it :yuck:). I think I used about a tablespoon or two of grounds per cup (it's been a while since I last used it). Add boiling water and wait for it to brew, about 3 minutes. That kept me going all night. I didn't know there was an art to it.

6. Jul 4, 2005 #5

Astronuc

7. Jul 4, 2005 #6

Evo

8. Jul 4, 2005 #7

Astronuc

9. Jul 4, 2005 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, I always heard that a good cup of coffee was anything strong enough that you couldn't see the bottom of the cup, but not so strong that you couldn't see the bottom of a spoon.

10. Jul 4, 2005 #9
    I was about to say that your problem was that you were brewing french roast. :tongue:
    I've heard that the french press makes the best coffee but I've never actually used one.

11. Jul 4, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. I don't like the French Roast much. If you like strong coffee and can get Millstone brand, get their Caffe Midnight. It's my favorite. :approve:

12. Jul 4, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Bah, just get a Bunn. They have home models for $80-150. 900 watts, 200°, 3 minutes. :!!) After I get my PF membership, o:) I'm getting a Bunn.

13. Jul 4, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bunn, what's a Bunn? I thought that was Ivan's cat's name. :confused: :rofl:

14. Jul 4, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hm, I can't tell if you're serious or joking. I'd like to know how "They have home models for $80-150. 900 watts, 200°, 3 minutes." would apply to a cat. :confused: :wink:
    http://www.bunnomatic.com/ They make coffee makers and such.

15. Jul 4, 2005 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

French Press is definitely the way to go...I had one of those automatic coffee makers which were very messy to clean up, and if you ran out of filters, no coffee. I have two FP's, one for a large amount of coffee, and one for an individual serving.

I think the key also to getting good coffee is the bean you get. The well known brand that has shops on every corner here in the NW is probably the worst in my opinion. As for flavor, I gravitate towards any Kona blends or Breakfast blends. Welcome to the indulgence of good coffee Ivan!

16. Jul 4, 2005 #15
    lol @ being a science wiz, but not being able to make coffee..

yeah, they showed some show on food network on making the perfect coffee

ill see if i can find that episode and upload it

17. Jul 4, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like my grinder has to go as well. How good are the grinders at Safeway - the ones for customer use in the coffee section? They appear to be a high quality device. Does anyone know for sure?

18. Jul 4, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: <---- This guy means I'm not being serious. :smile: I hadn't heard of the particular brand, but I knew you were talking about some sort of coffee maker. But the name reminded me of Ivan's cat Bun. Okay, my joke seemed funnier to me at 3 AM than it does now. :uhh: :redface:

19. Jul 4, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She is a very smart cat, but I've never caught her making coffee....yet. :uhh:

20. Jul 4, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use those (well, not at Safeway, but at my local grocery chain) and they seem to do a decent job. Of course, that means you're not fresh grinding it every time you make a cup, so you'll lose some flavor. I have a tight sealing glass jar I pour the coffee into as soon as I get home. I can still tell the difference between the cup I make at the end of a week compared with the one made with the fresh grounds the day they come home. For me, it's just not feasible to stop at the grocery store more often or deal with the fuss of grinding my own at home (because all I have is one of those whirly blade grinders too, and I do end up with really inconsistent grounds with that) so I deal with the loss of flavor over a week. Ideally, if you grind it at the store, you're only supposed to get what you'll use in 3 days I think. The most important thing though is to get it out of that paper bag and into a tightly sealing container as soon as you get home to help retain flavor (a few times I inadvertently got too much and had some that didn't fit into my glass jar and what was left in the paper bag had noticeably less flavor than what was in the jar (I was using what was in the bag first, and when I switched over to what was in the jar, even after just a few days, what was in the jar was stronger than what was left in the bag...though, I could be imagining that I suppose).

Maybe one of these days I'll get a proper grinder for home use. I'd love to get something with the storage canister for the beans on top and just push a button to grind until I get the amount I want out the bottom. Anyone know of anything made like that in a size that's reasonable to keep on a kitchen counter that would hold about a lb of beans at a time?

21. Jul 4, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a cat could learn to make coffee, I think I'd be much more interested in owning a cat than I am now. :biggrin:

Oh, one other thing about those grinders at the grocery store...knock off any grounds stuck to the chute on it from the previous user (some days, the grounds just cling all over the chute the grounds come out of...too much static in the air or something...one of the stores around here used to leave out a brush to do that, but most I just give it a few good whacks (they should leave a brush out if they don't want me whacking the machine), and if you don't like the occassional surprise flavor added to your grounds, run it before you put your grounds in (there's a little lever behind the chute you have to hold up to run it without a bag under it...that's supposed to be there to make sure you put the bag under before running it, but you don't want to have the beans someone else didn't finish grinding added to your bag of grounds). Some stores have two grinders, one for regular coffees and one for flavored coffees (of course you go on faith that people heed the signs, but I think that most people snobbish enough about coffee to be buying the fresh ground will follow the signs) so if there are a few beans left from someone else's batch, you're not suddenly going to discover you have a chocolate/raspberry/hazelnut flavored coffee when you get home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?