Make Crossbow: Medieval Type | Get Tips & Help

• Thread starter stoned
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for helpful hints and resources on making a medieval crossbow, specifically an arbalest crossbow. They mention finding references through Google and searching for videos on YouTube, but not finding any. They also share a homemade crossbow video they found and express surprise at not seeing many compound crossbows.
stoned
I want to make medieval type crossbow, who can give me some helpfull hints, web pages ? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found quite a few references by googling on "arbalest crossbow"

(Arbalest was the technical name for one type of crossbows)

anyone have a video on how to make this kind of crossbow ?
I search youtube, but was unable to find. Here is the home made crossbow I am taking about,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/12Q_CrQjLF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/12Q_CrQjLF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised I haven't seen many compound cross bows. But I wasn't exactly looking either.

1. How can I make a medieval crossbow?

Making a medieval crossbow requires a few key materials such as a wooden stock, bowstring, trigger mechanism, and a metal prod or bow. You will also need basic tools like a saw, drill, and sandpaper. It's important to research and follow safety guidelines when making a crossbow, as it can be a dangerous weapon.

2. What is the difference between a medieval crossbow and a modern crossbow?

The main difference between a medieval crossbow and a modern crossbow is the design. Medieval crossbows typically have a longer wooden stock and a shorter bow made of wood or metal. They also have a simpler trigger mechanism compared to modern crossbows. Additionally, medieval crossbows were usually made by hand, while modern crossbows are mass-produced with advanced technology.

3. Are there any tips for making a crossbow more accurate?

To make a crossbow more accurate, it's important to ensure that all the components are properly aligned and balanced. This includes the bowstring, stock, and trigger mechanism. Using high-quality materials and regularly maintaining the crossbow can also improve its accuracy. Practice and proper shooting techniques are also key in improving accuracy.

4. Can I use any type of wood to make a crossbow?

While there are different types of wood that can be used to make a crossbow, some are better suited than others. Generally, hardwoods such as ash, hickory, or oak are recommended for the stock, while the bow can be made from a variety of woods such as yew, hickory, or bamboo. It's important to choose a strong and flexible wood for the bow to ensure the crossbow's durability and power.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a crossbow?

Yes, it's important to take safety precautions when making a crossbow, as it involves sharp tools and potentially dangerous materials. Always wear protective gear such as gloves and eye protection when handling tools and materials. Make sure to follow proper guidelines and instructions, and never point the crossbow at anyone, even if it's not loaded.