How to make home-made hand sanitizer

• Thread starter Eskus
  • Start date
1). You seem intent on using this eucalyptus oil even though you are having trouble. No amount of discussion here can change the fact that it isn’t working for you.
There is limited products available in stores and this has already been mixed. I'm trying to determine if I need to throw it away. I really would like to avoid that if possible.

You have seemed determined to try convince me that these two products are too toxic. Can we please just move past that - they may not be ideal but they're not going to hurt anyone who puts it on their skin once or twice. In fact they are both commonly used on bare skin...
Pure eucalyptus oil is soluble 1 part in 5 in 70% aqueous ethanol. Think about that. Is it likely a couple of drops would phase separate from 65% aqueous ethanol?
No idea, that's why I'm asking some people that are educated on the topic.
If the label indicates 95-99% ethanol, can you at least acknowledge that you have no idea what as much as 5% of the methylated spirits might be?
Correct. No idea other than being 100% sure there is zero methanol. I have just confirmed it's 95% ethanol. 5% is unknown.
You claim you are doing this because you want to avoid potential future lawsuits. Really?
My other options are to not follow hygiene advice suggested by the government or shut down my business.

I'm interested to hear how this lawsuit might unfold though...

Anyway, as mentioned, both products are commonly used on bare skin and have been for decades. My actual question regarding whether the alcohol part of the mixture is still likely be effective has already been answered despite this deviation from my initial question. Thanks for your time.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, did you source your eucalyptus oil from the aromatherapy section?

So, did you source your eucalyptus oil from the aromatherapy section?
Good one. No it's from the supermarket right next to the medicine actually.

It's also available at every pharmacy...

Last edited:
Tom.G
Science Advisor
So i would also assume (ass of[ U and me) that the cloudy solution down the bottom is still almost pure alcohol and should still kill viruses as intended?
Collect that cloudy solution, either by gently pouring off the other stuff, or using a pipette, eye dropper, basting syringe, or straw.

• Smell it. Does it smell like eucalyptus or alcohol?
  • Rub it between your fingers. Does it evaporate rapidly, cooling your fingers?
  • Put it in a small metal container and see if it will burn.
You can do the same with the other layers too.
That way you at least have some information, as opposed to wishful thinking.

• Informative
Likes jesscataylr