How to Group Thousands in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter ronaldor9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Latex
In summary, to group thousands in LaTeX, you can use the \num{} command from the siunitx package. It is also possible to customize the grouping character by using the \sisetup{group-separator = {character}} command. Additionally, you can use the \numprint{} command from the numprint package if you do not want to use a package. The \num{} command can also be used for equations, and the grouping style can be changed with the \sisetup{group-minimum-digits = {number}} command, allowing for grouping every 3 or 4 digits instead of every 3.
ronaldor9
How can I tell LaTex to group by thousands such as a large number like this: 1 000 000 000 instead of 1000000000

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can tell it that, because as far as LaTeX is concerned there is nothing special about numbers. You can do it manually, just type $1\,000\,000\,000$ or $1\;000\;000\;000$ or $1\:000\:000\:000$, depending on your preference. Or use scientific notation ($10^9$), of course :tongue:

Examples:
  • $1\,000\,000\,000$
    [itex] 1\,000\,000\,000 [/itex]
  • $1\;000\;000\;000$
    [itex] 1\;000\;000\;000 [/itex]
  • $1\:000\:000\:000$
    [itex] 1\:000\:000\:000 [/itex]
  • $10^9$
    [itex] 10^9 [/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks, yea I was hoping there was a simpler way. Thanks though!

1. How can I group thousands in LaTeX?

To group thousands in LaTeX, you can use the \num{} command from the siunitx package. Simply enter the number inside the curly braces and it will automatically group the thousands with a comma.

2. Can I customize the grouping character in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the grouping character by using the \sisetup{group-separator = {character}} command from the siunitx package. Replace "character" with the desired symbol or character you want to use for grouping.

3. Is there a way to group thousands without using a package in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \numprint{} command from the numprint package. This command will automatically format the number with a comma as the thousands separator.

4. Can I group thousands in both numbers and equations in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \num{} command from the siunitx package not only for numbers, but also for equations. Simply place the equation inside the curly braces and it will be formatted with grouped thousands.

5. Is there a way to change the grouping style in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the grouping style by using the \sisetup{group-minimum-digits = {number}} command from the siunitx package. Replace "number" with the desired minimum number of digits before grouping. This will allow you to group thousands in a different style, such as every 3 or 4 digits instead of every 3.