How to Create Liquid Nitrogen Using Dry Ice and Alcohol

In summary, this article provides information about how to make liquid nitrogen using various methods.
Emmanuel_Euler
Hi Everyone
liquid nitrogen is very useful .

i want to know how to make liquid nitrogen?
i won't make a one. but i only want to know how to make it .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you asked uncle Google?

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
That's easy. Just take solid nitrogen and let it melt :wink:

Likes Emmanuel_Euler and Borek
DrClaude said:
That's easy. Just take solid nitrogen and let it melt :wink:
yes:biggrin:

that is a useful website:wideeyed::rolleyes:.
thanks for help.
but there is only one problemo_O?
I do not understand German:smile:.
but it is not a big problem i can use google translate:wink:
:biggrin:

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
DrDu said:
Have a look here, although it is in German:
http://www.rapp-instruments.de/Hotcold/Kryo/main.htm
Rapp-instruments is my absolute favourite page about advanced home-made physical apparatus.
Dang!
Looks like the amazing DrDu
Pulled out another gem from his zoo
Of websites that remind me of a cuckoo
And teach you how to do science kung fu.....

Likes DrDu
DrDu said:
Have a look here, although it is in German:
http://www.rapp-instruments.de/Hotcold/Kryo/main.htm
Rapp-instruments is my absolute favourite page about advanced home-made physical apparatus.
Seriously though....how did you run into that site, if I may ask ?
I've been searching about these things for some time now, I've never seen an amateur build something like a GM cryo-cooler, and pulsetube refrigerator. That guy's got something to be proud of. I've seen siemens cycle, Hampson-Linde cycle and stirling coolers, but nothing beyond that. I could give you links to just about all sorts of attempts on youtube, blogspots, personal websites, forums...and yet never saw a hint or reference to that german site. It's like Batman says "not so much as a green hair" about finding the joker.....
Do you have anything else "exquisite" up your sleeve?

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe it helps being German? :-)

DrDu said:
I don't know. Maybe it helps being German? :-)
What about the other question? Do you know of something else interesting related to the topic? Maybe you know of an attempt to liquefy helium ?

Last edited:
There are two ways to do this.
  1. Pour the alcohol into a plastic container and nest this container inside a bucket of dry ice.
  2. Alternatively, you can pour the alcohol directly over the dry ice. This is easier, but you won't have control over the temperature of the dry ice, so it's possible your alcohol will freeze.

msajaa said:
There are two ways to do this.
  1. Pour the alcohol into a plastic container and nest this container inside a bucket of dry ice.
  2. Alternatively, you can pour the alcohol directly over the dry ice. This is easier, but you won't have control over the temperature of the dry ice, so it's possible your alcohol will freeze.
This is a common misconception. What you described is called poor man's liquid nitrogen, not actual liquid nitrogen.
And you would be well advised not to try demonstrations of Leidenfrost effect with that, since you'll end up losing whatever body part you tried it on.
[p.s. I really don't know who coined that term, it's hardly appropriate anyway.
Poor man's liquid nitrogen has little in common with actual liquid nitrogen, besides freezing flowers :)]

1. What is liquid nitrogen?<\h2>

Liquid nitrogen is a colorless, odorless, and extremely cold liquid with a boiling point of -196 degrees Celsius. It is commonly used in scientific research, medical procedures, and industrial applications.

2. How is liquid nitrogen made?<\h2>

Liquid nitrogen is made by compressing and cooling gaseous nitrogen, which makes it condense into a liquid state. This process requires specialized equipment and can only be done by trained professionals.

3. What are the uses of liquid nitrogen?<\h2>

Liquid nitrogen has a variety of uses, including freezing and preserving biological samples, creating a cryogenic environment for scientific experiments, and in food processing and storage. It is also used in the production of certain materials and in cryotherapy for medical purposes.

4. Is liquid nitrogen dangerous?<\h2>

Liquid nitrogen can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is extremely cold and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin. It can also displace oxygen in enclosed spaces, leading to asphyxiation. It is important to always follow safety precautions and use appropriate protective gear when handling liquid nitrogen.

5. Can I make liquid nitrogen at home?<\h2>

No, it is not possible to make liquid nitrogen at home. The process requires specialized equipment and training, and it can be dangerous if not done properly. It is best to purchase liquid nitrogen from a reputable supplier if needed for a specific purpose.