Make LPG Safer: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter Stanley514
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding additives to LPG to make it safer and less explosive when used in transportation. The question is raised about whether the additives would be added to the gas or the liquid form of LPG, and there is curiosity about what types of additives could be used to prevent combustion in case of leakage.
Stanley514
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand your question. LPG at STP is a gas, and it becomes explosive when mixed with the air. Do you know what the lower and upper explosive limits are? Do you want to add something to the gas (produced by evaporation of LPG), or to the liquid?

Borek said:
I am not sure I understand your question. LPG at STP is a gas, and it becomes explosive when mixed with the air. Do you know what the lower and upper explosive limits are? Do you want to add something to the gas (produced by evaporation of LPG), or to the liquid?
I never used LPG myself and do not suppose to use. I just curious how is it possible to make it safer if it will become more widespread on the transport. For example what gaseous additives could be used to make it uncombustible in a case of leakage.

1. Can LPG be made completely safe?

No, it is not possible to make LPG completely safe as it is a highly flammable gas. However, there are measures that can be taken to minimize the risks associated with its use.

2. What are the potential risks of using LPG?

The main risks associated with LPG use include fire and explosion hazards, as well as potential health hazards from exposure to the gas or its combustion byproducts.

3. How can the risks of LPG be minimized?

The risks of LPG can be minimized by following proper safety protocols, such as ensuring proper ventilation, regularly inspecting and maintaining equipment, and using appropriate storage and handling practices.

4. Are there any safety regulations in place for LPG use?

Yes, there are regulations and standards in place to ensure the safe use of LPG. These may vary depending on the country or region, but they typically cover storage, handling, transportation, and use of LPG.

5. Can LPG be used safely in homes and businesses?

Yes, LPG can be used safely in homes and businesses as long as proper safety measures are followed. It is important to educate yourself on the potential risks and how to mitigate them before using LPG in these settings.